A man who stares at goats

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
... well, literally as it turns out. All day long.

Saw this goatherder tending his goats on and off a busy highway.

Stole a few pictures.

Gd3oI.jpg

DbBbV.jpg

ETZwW.jpg

5bLNK.jpg

I tried staring a goat out once, on the basis that a superior intellect could influence a weaker one.

I still get the odd urge to eat grass and butt things... :rofl:

Great shots, Boid. I particularly like #1 and #3

Excellent shots. The first is perhaps the least of them, but it really sets the context and the next three are wonderful...

-Ray

I loved the first one, because of the context. Here's a herder with livestock that, at least I imagine, could decide to suddenly go left or right, yet they are on the median strip of a highway, with a large truck coming through. Even the herder is leaning into the roadway. It's like a statement on the precariousness of his position, and I found it more compelling than the last (I also found the power lines distracting in the last). Also loved the two in between.

Thanks for your comments Bill, Ray, wt21.

I did try a couple of alternatives to the first image. Both had trucks in the horizon, and in one I tried a higher pov. Even though the second one establishes more context by showing more of the surroundings, it didn't make the goatherder enough of a hero in my little story.

I'm attaching them both and would love to know your opinions on them.

pCDsX.jpg

hFoE4.jpg

Attachments

• hFoE4.jpg
    hFoE4.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 141
I still like the very first shot best (the one you kept) because the truck is right there, over his shoulder. To me, it's a statement that a (possibly) meager/precarious living is hanging over him.

The last one (with the higher POV) is also a compelling shot, IMO, but the story'ss different. To me, the last shot is less about the herder himself, and more about rural highways or highways in India (having not been to India, it makes me wonder "are all the highways like that, or is this a special case"). The first shot, to me, says more to me about the herder than the place he lives, the latter is more about the location than the herder. Not sure if I'm making sense. Would love to hear what others think.

(all in all, though, I like all the pics, btw).

To me, the last shot is less about the herder himself, and more about rural highways or highways in India (having not been to India, it makes me wonder "are all the highways like that, or is this a special case"). the first shot, though, says more to me about the herder than the place he lives, the latter is more about the location than the herder. Not sure if I'm making sense. Would love to hear what others think.

It's pretty common seeing animals/cattle on the highways here. Everyone's very cavalier about it, though it causes accidents quite often. One just learns to be prepared to slam on the brakes at short notice. Glad you liked the pictures.

For me, I love #1 and it tells the complete story (the alternates are also good, but i think you chose correctly). #2 does nothing for me. I love the movement in #3, but I think #4 might be my favorite. His face has so much character I can't even believe someone would notice the power lines. I'm not inclined to love photos of strangers, but that #4 is REALLY good....at least it speaks to me.

Great series, Rajiv!

Just a couple more images to wrap up this set... thanks everyone for your comments.

Luke, I agree with your assessment. I'll keep the second image out of the set and replace it with the first one below.

BB, these two are all that's there, but I did shoot an insanely chaotic festival celebration later at midnight. Terrible light, small sensor camera, grainy images, but I had the time of my life! Will share once I'm done working out the kinks.

pTMa6.jpg

ag5aM.jpg

Back