Neil Armstrong

Gary

All-Pro
Name
Gary Ayala
God Bless you Neil Armstrong, Rest In Peace.

GRA20059.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was born almost 20 years after the moon landings, but still I'm sad to read of the passing away of such a great man. It was one of the greatest single achievements of mankind and he played a crucial role in it. I read that his heart rate during the lunar landing was 156bpm, which says a lot about how calm and collected he must've been.

I was born almost 20 years after the moon landings, but still I'm sad to read of the passing away of such a great man. It was one of the greatest single achievements of mankind and he played a crucial role in it. I read that his heart rate during the lunar landing was 156bpm, which says a lot about how calm and collected he must've been.

He was a Navy aviator, a combat pilot, ice water ran through his viens. He aborted the initial landing site due to the rough terrain and hunted for a better location. The entire world held our collective breaths, it was a special time for all of us.

Gary

Thank you for posting this, Gary - and for your beautiful tribute.

Heros are made not born ... and unfortunately the ingredients don't come together very often.

Gary

PS- He was a Boilermaker (Bachelors) and a Trojan (Masters), the best from the Midwest and the West.
G

There' a famous clip of a vehicle built to simulate the LM on earth. It went out of control with Armstrong at the controls but managed to eject.

Neil Armstrong: Simulator Crash Almost Killed Apollo 11 Astronaut Year Before Lunar Landing (VIDEO)

I understand he went straight to the camp bar for a beer and a ciggie. One of the other astro's rushed in and said something like "Jeez, just heard you crashed and was almost killed" Armstrong took a drag on his ciggie and just said "Yup"

In the UK we were allowed to stay up in the wee small hours to watch this momentous event, God, it was a fantastic day. Will never, ever forget it.

I moved to London in 1969 to start a new job, I watched the landing all night in the flat upstairs. It was an event that I will never forget. What still amazes me is that these brave astronauts flew to the moon and back with less computing power than my mobile phone. Armstrong was certainly the right stuff. RIP.

Back