Apple iPhone 5 has a 28MP camera. Is it Apple's answer to Nokia Pureview?

Okey dokey, cool enough :) And I don't think you can delete a post once someone responds, you can however change contents. But if someone has quoted you it is better to leave the context of the quote in full.

I knew the dock connector was going to change, but that is going to hurt for a lot of people. I may try to pick up a nice, used 4S for my wife to replace her "old" 3G.

How do I delete a post?

No need to do that here - looks like the 28mp was referring to a pano feature. For future reference, if you click on the edit message at the bottom of one on your posts, you will then see another button, at the bottom of the edit window, to completely delete your post. Not sure if it works, if people have replied to the original message.

Was thinking the reverse. AT&T can still work out of country, verizon let us down.
Good point, I think, on voice roaming, Kristen. Verizon and Sprint CDMA will get you pretty spotty coverage outside of the US.

When I was traveling for work a lot, I ended up taking a cheap, unlocked GSM phone with me. I would then pick up a SIM card, pay-as-you-go, in whatever country I was in, giving you a local number, and sometimes cheap calls back to the states. They were ridiculously cheap for local minutes. I had a couple crazy bills on my US carrier when roaming ($3/minutes adds up quick) and the local mobile number helped offset a lot of cost (that and heavy skype use). :D

Good point, I think, on voice roaming, Kristen. Verizon and Sprint CDMA will get you pretty spotty coverage outside of the US.

When I was traveling for work a lot, I ended up taking a cheap, unlocked GSM phone with me. I would then pick up a SIM card, pay-as-you-go, in whatever country I was in, giving you a local number, and sometimes cheap calls back to the states. They were ridiculously cheap for local minutes. I had a couple crazy bills on my US carrier when roaming ($3/minutes adds up quick) and the local mobile number helped offset a lot of cost (that and heavy skype use). :D

Yeah see my husband sometimes takes out of country trips for work and often his hotel has poor to no internet which basically equals no communication-- which is bad. But you do have to be careful because I guess if you don't turn your phone off when flying, like the apple's with at&t, they will start doing their updates as soon as you land and get connections and you will get out of country data charges.

My iPhone is AT&T and service is not great, and in my town, a good size town, there are dead zones. My iPad has Verizon and it always works great (can't speak for call quality).

The iphone 4s is a world phone. It has both CDMA and GSM radios. So if you are on Sprint or Verizon you can use it as a GSM phone outside the US. Hopefully the iphone 5 will be the same

Will have to check into the iphone on verizon and see if it has better service globally because locally as in within the states, verizon has been better than at&t

Was thinking the reverse. AT&T can still work out of country, verizon let us down.

if i am not mistaken, the CDMA iPhone 4 and 4S still have a SIM slot (unused by CDMA carriers) so they CAN be used out of country using a local SIM.
Your carrier may have to enable it tho

I'm not sure iPhone 5 is offering us much more than a slightly larger screen and the ability to do panoramic shots. I'm not impressed.

Christlou, I'm not quite sure what would impress people. It is thinner, lighter, faster and better looking (my opinion) than the 4 and still has a larger screen. Other than that they are just boxes that host the OS and the apps. Me? I'm not "impressed," but I do think it is a solid evolution of the iPhone. I'll buy one because my wife and I have been holding out for it and plan to keep it for a long time. I'd expect that, like the Macs and the iPad, the core design is here to stay for a while.

My only gripe is with the whole skeumorphism argument - I wish that iOS was less skeumorphic and more "authentically digital" like that which was formally called Metro from Microsoft.

Simply out of curiosity, what would impress you? I use and design for various device types and I'm interested to hear what people would like to see in them.

I don't really use the camera all that much anymore, but my wife does, and for that reason (pictures of the kids) I wish that the cameras were better. But we can't expect all that much from these devices if we expect them to get ever smaller and lighter and thinner.

I don't really use the camera all that much anymore, but my wife does, and for that reason (pictures of the kids) I wish that the cameras were better. But we can't expect all that much from these devices if we expect them to get ever smaller and lighter and thinner.

+1 to that!
Though I DO use my Camera a lot now ;)

I used to want a bigger screen, but a friend of mine returned his Galaxy 3 after finding he could not used it one-handed. That got me to thinking about how I used my iPhone, and I realized I use it a lot one-handed. On a bigger screen you just can't reach all the icons and controls with your thumb one-handed.

That being said, it would be nice if eventually there were more iOS options available.

I'm still humming along on my 3GS though. ;) I used it a lot, but not for games, so it is still more than adequate for my needs.

Back