Octoberfest Photofest Rules & Scavenger Hunt List

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
Octoberfest Photofest will run from October 1st to October 31st. During that period of time anyone wishing to participate may do so using any camera, digital or film, and any lens combo. You are not restricted to using one camera/lens or one medium (digital/film), however if you wish to challenge yourself with one camera and lens, you can. What have you wanted to try? What do you feel you need to practice more? Do you just want to get out there, do it and share with friends? You can be as relaxed or as structured as you want. There is no pressure or maybe I should say only as much pressure as you put upon yourself. Shoot as many photos as you like during that period but you only need to submit 31. Don't exasperate yourself, if you only have time to do half a month's worth please do still participate. This is NOT a contest, it's a friendly month long photowalk that we will embark on simultaneously, in our own parts of the world, wherever you live or happen to be during the month of October.

For those of you wanting to participate in a scavenger hunt like exercise similar to what we did in May, the list is below. You may shoot any, none or all of the topics OR choose the alternate scavenger hunt, letters and numbers. *You do not need to photograph in the order they are listed. They are just numbered to better keep track of them. Thank you to all that contributed their ideas to create this list. (List Contributors: Krugorg, Luke, Penfant2101, Pelao, snkenai, Julien, fin azvandi, pictogramax & Gary.)

SCAVENGER HUNT LIST

1. Agriculture (farm gate to dinner plate)
  2. On The Shelf
  3. Near And Far
  4. Little Things Can Mean So Much
  5. Circle Within A Square
  6. Something Dear
  7. Hands At Work
  8. New Meets Old
  9. Footwear
  10. Winding Down
  11. Ramping Up
  12. Home Stretch
  13. Travel Log
  14. Occupation
  15. Tiny World/Macro
  16. Fleeting
  17. Synesthesia
  18. Reflection(s)
  19. Trouble
  20. Passage Of Time
  21. Seeing Double
  22. Sweet
  23. Corner
  24. Lost
  25. In Another Life
  26. Steampunk
  27. Head
  28. Seasons
  29. Minimalism
  30. Octoberfest/Beer (For Gary who wondered where the Beer was)
  31. Letters/Numbers - You are not taking photographs of letters and numbers, you are taking photographs of everyday objects or things in nature that look like letters or numbers. You may not lay objects out to create these. There are examples on the links below.

30 Amazing Alphabet Recreations
Creative Word Photography and Letter Art

**Letters & Numbers can also be used as an alternate option for people who want a single month long theme that will challenge their eye. In this instance you will need to photograph the entire alphabet, A through Z which makes 26 photographs and then photograph five numbers, any numbers, which will bring the total to 31. *You can use zero.

FOR FILM SHOOTERS
Film photographers may start tomorrow, September 21st so that they have extra time to develop their photos. Note that is only for film. If you are using film and digital, the digital portion of your work can not be started before October 1st.

If anyone has questions after reading all of this, please ask. If not, just a thanks so we know it's been found and read will help us to know everyone is on the same page. Luke will be directing us to where we can post as soon as that location is created but posting will not begin until the 1st of October.

*Also, I would like to remind everyone that this photofest is about the photos, not the gear. Feel free to comment all you like about the photos submitted but please do not open discussions over what gear was used or ask how the images were processed. This is our departure from gear and our reflection on the work. Afterall, it is the photographer's eye, not the cameras. Just sit back and enjoy what you see!

Thanks for getting this going Kristen and congrats on passing the 1,000 posts mark!

If anyone is unclear on October's festivities (I mean challenge), please feel free to ask questions here. I think it's pretty straightforward but I often read and re-read posts. Basically, take a photo and post it every day. If you like a push or need a focus, grab one of the themes each day, but it's not necessary at all. Taking and posting one photo every day (unless you miss one....but don't worry about it....just keep shooting) is the only "rule".

Okay to cross-post a link to this thread over at Mu-43.com? Last week there was some talk over there about starting up a fall challenge/photoquest-type thing but it kind of died out. Maybe a few of them would be interested in joining in over here.

There was an idea that we wouldn't say anything or ask anything about the gear or processing in the image threads . Wondering if that had been dropped?

Octoberfest? I assune you mean Oktoberfeste which take place in Germany soon.
Oktoberfeste im Deutschland.
Bier, Dirndlns und vieles mehr. Ein bisschen Spass muss sein.

Thanks for organizing this, I can't wait. Maybe I will keep my life simple (and enjoyable) and shoot subjects related to number 30 (Thanks, Gary!). Of course, I will use different lenses and cameras and lighting (and different types of beer) for each photo. :)

Kidding aside, really looking forward to it.

This sound like a cool idea. I hope that the moderators can come up with a nice way for us to view the photos. Clicking through mutliple posts can be a bit cumbersome and sometimes difficult to follow.
Thanks!

Just a quick note to say that we'll have a place for the photos soon.

And a reminder that film shooters can start shooting whenever they are ready so that they can begin posting an image a day come October.

Back