Panasonic Nearly new LX5 and accessories.

Kustom48

Regular
Name
ian drury
Hi everyone,

Just been offered a part exch deal ( no extra cash from me needed ) on my 400D for a nearly new LX5 with the EVF and the wide angle conversion lens and its required mount plus a 52mm circular polariser .

Should I take it :confused:

Thanks in anticipation.

Interesting offer. I assume you are actually in the market for a high-end compact?

I had the EVF for the LX5, and didn't like it. The image it provides is not too good, plus I found difficulty using it with my glasses - the first time I've ever had that issue with any EVF or OVF.

The wide angle conversion lens is something I'm looking at acquiring. If you are interested in shooting wide, the LX5 (or 3) + wide angle adapter is the cheapest way to get decent quality, I think.

IMO, it sounds like a very good deal for you, if it suits your needs.

Thanks for your comments,

The 400D trade also includes the std kit lens and a 70-300mm Sigma plus the BGE3 battery grip I bought together in 2006 ( ??? ).

I'm seriously interested in an advanced features compact, for carrying with me at all times, as I don't use my Canon kit that much now, too much gear to carry around at times !

I've looked at all the latest serious compact alternatives ( X10, XF1, LX7,XZ2, EX2F RX100, all have their good & bad points,plus price is a definite decider ) but found this one in a small independent camera shop quite by accident as I passed by on my way to where I was working that day !

The LX5 deal has the Panasonic wide conversion lens and the necessary mount to fit it onto the LX5, and from what I've found out was/ is quite expensive to buy as new, the bonus is the EVF ( divides opinion, both good & bad ) which again was/ is costly, so from my point of view this offer is worth taking up as I feel the LX5 will suit my current needs for a high quality small sized camera with controlability.

The LX5 is a nice camera, but now you need to do the research....sounds like it may be a fair trade and supporting a local business is always HUGE in my book. And you don;t need to worry about the hassle of selling yours. Good luck with your decision

I think its a fair deal if you need the high end compact. I have the LX3 and love it. Keep using it at low ISO. THe little leica lens is great. The controls and handling is superb. I carry mine everywhere and use it more often then compare to when I had nikon DSLR etc. The best camera is the one you have with you.

The LX5 is a nice camera, but now you need to do the research....sounds like it may be a fair trade and supporting a local business is always HUGE in my book. And you don;t need to worry about the hassle of selling yours. Good luck with your decision

And this is a really big thing. Local, and not having to worry about offloading something you hardly use? I'd probably take the deal, if it were me.

I'm currently using the LX5 as my sole camera, after years of using a DSLR. I'm enjoying it as a new photographic tool, as I am now a more capable photog than I was in my pre-DSLR days.

I'd say my one serious gripe about the LX5 relative to it's rivals is the jpeg engine. I - and many other folks - just can't seem to develop a liking for it. I've shot RAW nearly exclusively since my Fuji S6500fd days, so it's not a big deal to me, but I'll throw it out there.

From today...

Hacklebarney_Park_unknown_photog_P1040071.jpg

Hello again.

Thanks for all your input, and ,yes I'm going to accept this deal offer.

Is the Photographer's Guide To The LX5, by Alexander S White worth getting to learn more about how this camera works, its quirks etc. ?

Don't know about any books, never thought to use one. I'd think with your DSLR experience - assuming you are not an "Auto" mode user - the LX5 will be easy for you to get along with.

If you shoot RAW with Photoshop or Lightroom, I highly recommend the PSKiss Cross Camera Color Profiles - Cross Camera Color DNG Profiles | Products | PSKiss

I used promo code: WMKISS and that knocked a few shekels off the price.

Update,
Collected my trade-in / part-exch deal yesterday and I'm very pleased with my decision .

Can't wait to try the little LX5 out, once I've learned more about how it works, to get the best from it.

Can anyone reccomend a suitable case for it, not just the genuine Panasonic accessory one ( costly , in my opinion ) ?

Sorry my response is so late - we experienced a little weather here.

I agree, the genuine Panasonic case is too pricey. I use this: Zing Designs Camera Pouch, Large (Black) 563-301 B&H Photo Video

It fits on my belt, and easily holds my LX5 and conversion lens adapter.

Update,
Collected my trade-in / part-exch deal yesterday and I'm very pleased with my decision .

Can't wait to try the little LX5 out, once I've learned more about how it works, to get the best from it.

Can anyone reccomend a suitable case for it, not just the genuine Panasonic accessory one ( costly , in my opinion ) ?

Back