Film A weekend of firsts

ajramirez

Hall of Famer
Name
Antonio
This was a weekend of several firsts for me. My first time shooting with my first medium format film camera, a circa 1956 Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS in absolutely mint condition I picked up last week. This morning was the first time in over 16 years that I developed a roll of flim.

I think the results turned out fine, even though the 75mm 3.5 Xenar on the Rollei is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Still, that analog-medium format-B&W look has its allure. This is from the first of three rolls I shot yesterday and developed this morning:

8131792333_09b4c2cae2_b.jpg

Puente by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131817738_8c45b0193b_b.jpg

Puerta by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131792635_c6e370441d_b.jpg

8131792863_35e0f13d50_b.jpg

Arbol by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131793075_0f25929ab7_b.jpg

Torre by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131803146_49d1f9f168_b.jpg

Escalera by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131778063_32ff95c108_b.jpg

Ilford Delta 100, D76 1:1. All at Jardín Botánico y Cultural William Miranda Marín (William Miranda Marín Botanical and Cultural Gardens), Caguas, Puerto Rico.

Cheers,

Antonio

I've already commented on Flickr ... It's hard to see how these could be much better. Beautifully handled light.

What did you use for scanning btw?

I've already commented on Flickr ... It's hard to see how these could be much better. Beautifully handled light.

What did you use for scanning btw?

Epson V500 Photo and Epson Scan. I use VueScan with the Plustek for 35mm, but could not get it to work with the Epson.

Thanks,

Antonio

I've dreamed of a Rollei for a while now. Just don't have the guts to try one.
I found it to be a very different user experience when compared to 35mm cameras, let alone any digital gear. I can tell you that from this first outing, my admiration for Vivian Maier has increased tenfold, in that I really cannot fathom doing any kind of street work with the Rollei.

First, there is the issue of focusing. Even though mine has the upgraded Maxwell screen with the split image, I still found it impossible to focus without using the magnifier. So, shooting pretty much goes like this: (1) find the scene; (2) take a hand held meter reading (no in-camera meter on my model); (3) Set exposure; (4) frame the scene (keeping in mind that the image you see is right side up, but reversed); (5) flip the magnifier; (6) focus; (7) flip down the magnifier; (8) press the shutter release; (9) switch hands in order to crank the film advance.

On the other hand, it actually is light enough to operate hand held, although I used a monopod for the above shots.

If you ask me, I would say to go for it.

Cheers,

Antonio

Great stuff, I really liked #2 as well. (By the way, I just checked out "Vivian Maier: Street Photographer" from the library on Friday and it is even more impressive knowing the technological hurdles involved in making the image - I wasn't familiar with the Rollei).

This was a weekend of several firsts for me. My first time shooting with my first medium format film camera, a circa 1956 Rolleiflex 3.5 MX-EVS in absolutely mint condition I picked up last week. This morning was the first time in over 16 years that I developed a roll of flim.

I think the results turned out fine, even though the 75mm 3.5 Xenar on the Rollei is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Still, that analog-medium format-B&W look has its allure. This is from the first of three rolls I shot yesterday and developed this morning:

8131792333_09b4c2cae2_b.jpg

8131817738_8c45b0193b_b.jpg

Puerta by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131792635_c6e370441d_b.jpg

8131792863_35e0f13d50_b.jpg

Arbol by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131793075_0f25929ab7_b.jpg

Torre by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131803146_49d1f9f168_b.jpg

Escalera by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

8131778063_32ff95c108_b.jpg

Ilford Delta 100, D76 1:1. All at Jardín Botánico y Cultural William Miranda Marín (William Miranda Marín Botanical and Cultural Gardens), Caguas, Puerto Rico.

Cheers,

Antonio

superb tonality and draw
bravo!

Loved the shots when I saw them on flickr. Like some others, I dig #2, but I also really love the capture of the tree. Great light!

First, there is the issue of focusing. Even though mine has the upgraded Maxwell screen with the split image, I still found it impossible to focus without using the magnifier. So, shooting pretty much goes like this: (1) find the scene; (2) take a hand held meter reading (no in-camera meter on my model); (3) Set exposure; (4) frame the scene (keeping in mind that the image you see is right side up, but reversed); (5) flip the magnifier; (6) focus; (7) flip down the magnifier; (8) press the shutter release; (9) switch hands in order to crank the film advance.

I've been noodling on a Bronica for a while, but after reading your process, I am thinking the rookie here best stick with digital! :eek:

Seriously, very impressive work!

nice images, congrats on using the TLR, back in the day I could never get the hang and feel of one, so I always preferred using either a mf slr or rangefinder.

Back