Fuji X-E1 EVF display of camera setting effects

seukel

Rookie
This might actually be a stupid question for some, but I am new to EVF's and did not find an answer elsewhere. I am coming from the Pentax DSLR-world with OVF's only.

My questions is: Does the viewfinder on the X-E1 show you what the sensor sees and what the final image will look like? For instance, does the viewfinder image get brighter or darker when you change your exposure manually or do exposure compensation (like the liveview on the Pentax K5)?

BTW I am eagerly waiting for the X-E1 to be available in Sweden.

Thanks

Based on my X100 which I assume is the same, yes. When you (for example) set the camera to b&w, the EVF is too. Ditto the EV comp wheel ... +1 brightens it too, etc. Having said that, I can still have manually changed the shutter settings to a point where a picture will come out too bright or too dark and the EVF won't show you it's coming, but how could it? There's no shutter aspect to the EVF.

KillRamsey said:
Based on my X100 which I assume is the same, yes. When you (for example) set the camera to b&w, the EVF is too. Ditto the EV comp wheel ... +1 brightens it too, etc. Having said that, I can still have manually changed the shutter settings to a point where a picture will come out too bright or too dark and the EVF won't show you it's coming, but how could it? There's no shutter aspect to the EVF.

Just had the XE1 for one day, and that seems to be exactly the case. It's not a WYSIWYG EVF like the OMD. I wish Fuji would make that an option for the user.

I just picked up my XE1 from the table, looked through the EVF and spun the EV dial up to +2 and back down to -2 and the EVF indeed gets brighter and darker.

It's not a WYSIWYG EVF like the OMD. I wish Fuji would make that an option for the user.

Sorry, I am new to this, but what exactly does that mean? What you see is what you get? So ... in relation to my original question (Does the viewfinder on the X-E1 show you what the sensor sees and what the final image will look like?) the answer then is no, or?

It works like every live view camera system. All JPEG parameters are reflected in the EVF and on the LCD.

According to a similar thread in dpreview from today (X-E1 EVF --> exposure preview?) the evf live view does not reflect exposure settings and not even a B&W preview when shooting B&W.

Perhaps dpreview is not the best place for information. I have the camera in front of me and it shows B&W, Sepia and so forth on the EVF and LCD.

Since the proof is in the pudding, here is a video demonstration I just made. Shot with my iPhone so forgive the quality.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=72aee3e587&photo_id=8144873603&hd_default=false"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=72aee3e587&photo_id=8144873603&hd_default=false" height="360" width="640"></embed></object>

Since the proof is in the pudding, here is a video demonstration I just made. Shot with my iPhone so forgive the quality.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" data="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"> <param name="flashvars" value="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=72aee3e587&photo_id=8144873603&hd_default=false"></param> <param name="movie" value="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786"></param> <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000"></param> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.flickr.com/apps/video/stewart.swf?v=109786" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="intl_lang=en-us&photo_secret=72aee3e587&photo_id=8144873603&hd_default=false" height="360" width="640"></embed></object>

Thanks tdp. And the evf shows exactly the same i guess?

According to a similar thread in dpreview from today (X-E1 EVF --> exposure preview?) the evf live view does not reflect exposure settings and not even a B&W preview when shooting B&W.

Reading this, I think I made a very good call when I decided to ignore the dpreview forums several months ago. :)

Sorry, I am new to this, but what exactly does that mean? What you see is what you get? So ... in relation to my original question (Does the viewfinder on the X-E1 show you what the sensor sees and what the final image will look like?) the answer then is no, or?

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Like TDP's video shows, if you apply the film simulation filters like B&W or Sepia or Velvia, the image on the LCD/EVF will reflect the application of the filter.

If you change the exposure compensation, the image on the LCD/EVF will brighten or darken accordingly.

However, in the M and S mode, if your settings will result in overexposure or underexposure, the image in the LCD/EVF will not reflect the overexposure or underexposure. So if you go solely by what you are seeing on the LCD/EVF, you may end up getting a final image that is darker or brighter than what you were seeing on the LCD/EVF.

In short, my experience is that the image on the LCD/EVF always reflects the optimal exposure regardless of the actual exposure dialed in by the user (via aperture setting, shutter setting and ISO); notwithstanding the use of the exposure compensation dial, which will brighten or darken the image on the LCD/EVF correspondingly.

Hope that made some sense ...

I typically shoot in A setting, and with auto ISO 6400. So that's not an issue for me for the most part.

There's no problem in S mode. If it is, your camera must be broken.

So what you are saying is that using your XE1 in S mode, if you set the shutter speed at 1/4000, ISO 200, while in a low light area, your LCD/EVF will reflect the exact exposure of the final image?

In my XE1, the LCD/EVF will show a nicely exposed live view image, but the actual photo taken is terribly underexposed.

Obviously, I would not be setting my camera on 1/4000 in a low light room, but this is just an example.

I don't think it's broken, but rather, this was just a choice Fuji made as their implementation of live view.

TDP, can you please check your XE1 as well and let me know? Thanks.

I know the X100 is a totally different camera, but mine shows an optimum exposure at all times regardless of how screwed up I set the parameters. Is there some menu item I need to adjust to get that WYSIWYG kind of operation? Or is this just for the X-E1 and X-Pro?

So what you are saying is that using your XE1 in S mode, if you set the shutter speed at 1/4000, ISO 200, while in a low light area, your LCD/EVF will reflect the exact exposure of the final image?

No live view camera will correctly reflect totally underexposed settings, in either mode. Hence the live histogram will also not be accurate under such circumstances. But this is nothing that's specific to the X-E1. You need to set the camera in a way that actually will produce a visible image.

Back