Nikon Showcase First pictures with Nikon P7700

Pim

Regular
Name
Pim
I recently bought a Nikon P7700, for use on those occasions when I don't really want to carry my Mu43 camera and lenses. The Nikon just fits in a small pouch on my belt, has very decent specifications and is a joy to use due to its formfactor and abundance of external controls. These were shot as Jpeg (I don't have raw support in my current Lightroom version yet), and processed in Silver Efex.

DSCN0187-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSCN0200-Edit.jpg

DSCN0209-Edit.jpg

DSCN0160-Edit.jpg

DSCN0138-Edit.jpg

DSCN0111-Edit.jpg

DSCN0087-Edit.jpg

DSCN0075-Edit.jpg

DSCN0131-Edit.jpg

DSCN0142-Edit.jpg

DSCN0099-Edit.jpg

DSCN0158-Edit.jpg

Thanks all, I will try and post some color shots soon, I am sure the camera will handle these just fine though, especially once I get some raw support. For me though the handling of the camera is an integral part of the fun of taking pictures, and in that respect I am very pleased with the P7700. I am sure future generations of this camera (and the canon G series for instance) will only improve in the IQ department, with new and very likely bigger sensors. I had a look at the Sony RX100 as well of course, but for me it just did not work as far as handling goes, so for now the Nikon is the right compromise for me.

Amazing photos, and whilst they clearly show what is available from a small sensored point and shoot these days (please don't take this as a knock, as that's the only such camera I possess), you clearly have a great ability to point it at interesting subjects and frame these beautifully.

I'd be very interested to see what you could do with the Coolpix A

From what I've seen so far the P7700 produces better images (certainly equal) & the only drawback I can find on this camera is the lack of viewfinder

I'd love to see a side by side comparison with the A

I'd be very interested to see what you could do with the Coolpix A

From what I've seen so far the P7700 produces better images (certainly equal) & the only drawback I can find on this camera is the lack of viewfinder

I'd love to see a side by side comparison with the A

Thanks! Actually I am now looking at the Coolpix A actually, but probably even more so the new Ricoh GR. I used to own the GR III and loved the feel and handling of that one. Ultimately though I decided if I was gonna carry a small sensor compact it made more sense to get one with a zoom. I tried the Canon S100, was happy enough with the output but just did not get on with the handling (I prefer my cameras with some better ergonomics as I explained before, hence the P7700). Now with the new Nikon and Ricoh I am definitely looking at those again. It would not be my main camera, and maybe not even general compact travel camera (for that I will stick with the P7700 with the versatility of the zoom and swivel screen), but I certainly see the appeal of the big sensor in a compact carry anywhere camera. So bottom line yes I will probably try one of these soon. But the modern smaller sensors have gotten to a point where if you don't require large prints they do just fine yes.. problem is I do sometimes like to print up to 60x40 cm and there the APS-C sensor would certainly outshine the smaller ones I would assume (not to mention the low light capabilities of course). Anyway, will keep you posted, something tells me sooner rather than later I will probably get either the Nikon or Ricoh...:)

I have both the p7700 and the ricoh GR with the wide angle converter...
Since I bought the ricoh I almost never used the p7700.
The P7700 is a great camera, but the image quality of the Ricoh is outstanding.
If like me you shoot between 28 and 50mm most of the time, then the IQ will be better to equal (far better at 28mm, near equal at base ISO and better at high ISO when cropping to have a 50mm equivalent) with the Ricoh.
Then if you use the long end of your P7700, it still has it's place near the Ricoh GR (and near the coolpix A of course !).

Back