Fuji X-mount Pancake 41mm

Booka

Regular
I just got back from the Stockholm photo fair and one of the more interesting things i saw was one of the new Fuji x-mount lens'. It has already been announced but i don't think i've seen any pictures of it anywhere online yet. It looked quite a bit slimmer than the 18mm f2.

On the Xe-1 I don't think it will be to much bigger then the x100

Sorry for the crap photo, wasn't really thinking that i would be posting it anywhere.
Fuji 35mm-f1.4 18mm-f2 27mm-f2.8
41mm.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Did you get any indication of the release date. I am really wanting the 27, 35, and 56 so I can ditch my Nikon gear.

I asked him if they would be coming out march-april as planed, he wasn't sure on any exact dates or when they would be released in sweden, but Fuji have been fairly decent in keeping with their ambitious roadmap schedule.

The 27mm pancake was shipped out from japan just for the show with nonworking electronics... so it was an unfinished product sample.

I just sold my nikon aps gear and am going to test out the fuji x100 for six months or so and if i like how the fuji works. I will probably move over to the Xe-1 when the 27mm comes out unless ricoh or sony have me considering a FF mirrorless.

I asked him if they would be coming out march-april as planed, he wasn't sure on any exact dates or when they would be released in sweden, but Fuji have been fairly decent in keeping with their ambitious roadmap schedule.

The 27mm pancake was shipped out from japan just for the show with nonworking electronics... so it was an unfinished product sample.

I just sold my nikon aps gear and am going to test out the fuji x100 for six months or so and if i like how the fuji works. I will probably move over to the Xe-1 when the 27mm comes out unless ricoh or sony have me considering a FF mirrorless.

I'm a D700 user and the X series are the only cameras I've used that have made me want to switch from FF. I might keep the D700 + Nikon 35mm F1.4 because that lens is so good. I already have a buyer for the Nikon zooms but I want to get the rest of the Fuji lenses first. The X Pro does not focus as fast as the D700 but I never need the camera to focus that fast anyway. The X100 is a great camera. No way I would get rid of it. I even have the 28mm adapter. I love that camera, but you have to live with the focus speed. If you need really fast focus I'd go with a Sony or Olympus MFT camera.

I would love a pankcake , but 23mm and 56mm are what i need...
41mm is like... hmmm... a very odd focal length :rolleyes:

One of the reason I'm looking forward to a fuji is their lens lineup.

Voigtlander has a 40,28,20mm pancake lenses for Nikon and by next year Fuji will have similar lenses available.

The 40mm f2.8 pancake can sit on as a default compact lens while out and about and in a jacketpocket. The f2-28mm will be faster and wider for indoors.

Then I will probably look at getting the 21mm from fuji or even Samyang14mm2.8(21EQ) or their fisheye-$300 vs $800
and for portraits one can easily get a cheap manual 50mm1.4 or 85mm1.4

The 27 mm pancake and the size of the X-E1 is what makes me think we are already looking at the successor to the X100.

The 27 mm pancake and the size of the X-E1 is what makes me think we are already looking at the successor to the X100.

Without an OVF and at f2.8, it's not a successor to the X100. Whether there IS a successor is another question, but this isn't it. And this combination would be more expensive anyway, unless the lens is $200...

-Ray

Bumping up an old thread, re: the 27/2.8 pancake.
My wife gave me the 27/2.8 for my recent birthday. 'Just got a chance to try it out this morning. Simply said, I really like it a lot. It compliments my 35/1.4 on the XE-1 body well. Very sharp wide open and hardly weighs anything.
Here's a quick shot I took this morning of my wife after we put up our Christmas tree. I wouldn't normally use this F/L to shoot a portrait this close as the image distortion illustrates but I wanted to see how the bokeh was at f2.8. Not bad, not bad.
Fill flash was from the on camera flash held bouncing off the ceiling. (My old Digilux 2 did this well and didn't need to be held in place. Hint, hint Fuji.
'Thought we might get some current discussion going about this Fuji lens hopefully with some images. Happy Holidays to all.
. . . David

Attachments

• Fuji XE-1 with 27mm (1 of 1).jpg
    Fuji XE-1 with 27mm (1 of 1).jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 206
  • Darlene and the Christmas Tree (1 of 1).jpg
    Darlene and the Christmas Tree (1 of 1).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 181
40mm is only odd because somehow, i read somewhere by dumb luck having something to do with oscar barnack, the 50mm pov has become 'standard'. yet, at least to my knowledge, it has nothing whatsoever to do with any normal human fov. so, i return with a question, why is not 50mm 'odd'? personally, ive never liked the 50mm pov, but thats neither here nor there. i just wonder what beyond habit makes 50 normal and 40 odd?

Tony - I have no idea either. I too have heard the Oscar Barnack "story" - something about having a 50mm lens handy in the shop when testing a prototype pre-M series body or something to that extent. Frankly I like both the 40mm and 50mm, (35mm film camera FoV), as walk-around lenses but like most everything I think it's just personal taste.
. . . David

40mm is my favourite focal length on full frame - I think 28, 40, 90mm is my trio. But it's odd-ball on APS-C (a shame too as the Pentax 40mm pancake is a stellar performer). I don't really care what you, or history, consider standard but at 60mm or so the only good thing is the exercise I get - as my feet never seem quite in the right place…ever!

Back