Marrakech

HeatherTheVet

Top Veteran
Name
Heather
So, I'm off wandering again next week, this time it's Morocco and I hope to not lose my trousers.
Has anyone got top tips? I've heard that the tanneries are great for cameras but bad in every other way.

Any good stories and photos?

Train Ride

Not sure what your itinerary will be but we went to Fes for a couple of nights first. It's a lot more primitive there and we only saw one other white face in the market, which was quite claustrophobic incidentally! We took a train "The Marraketch Express" from Fes to Marraketch. Think it was 5 or 6 hours but the scenery was spectacular and I got lots of pics through the window. The only thing was that it was Rammadan and so ther were no refreshments on board:(. There were 6 of us sharing my rations of a small bottle of water and a few cereal bars! In Marraketch in the main square there are lots of people all trying to sell you something and one man got quite officious with me because he thought I took a pic of his poor monkey in a toy car and he wanted paying. I think the Moroccan people are lovely and will go out of their way to help you but Nic is right, be aware that many people will not like you taking their photo. Also be aware that people will wait outside your hotel in the hope that you will pay them to give you a tour of the market. We took up this offer anyway because the guy spoke good English and was so engaging, there were six of us and we knew what we were in for! We enjoyed his company and had fun so it was worth it:). You will have to make your own judgement!

I have been a few times, I find it to be a photography wonderland, so much too shoot, a beautiful and fascinating place. The market in Marrakech is just amazing, but be aware that many people will want a small donation if you take their photo, while the money is small and not an issue, it can just get in the way the photo experience, leading to a lot of posed instead of candid photos. Also if you pay one person, you will more than likely pay many. I find this is one place it is better to be direct in taking your photos than try to sneak them. people are watching and may ask for money because they thought you to a photo of "the poor monkey in the toy car". I had a guy accuse us of photographing his cobra act because of they way my assistant was holding a camera low on the side of his leg, in the end no big deal, just smile. Highly recommend a drive through the Atlas mountains

I have been a few times, I find it to be a photography wonderland, so much too shoot, a beautiful and fascinating place. The market in Marrakech is just amazing, but be aware that many people will want a small donation if you take their photo, while the money is small and not an issue, it can just get in the way the photo experience, leading to a lot of posed instead of candid photos. Also if you pay one person, you will more than likely pay many. I find this is one place it is better to be direct in taking your photos than try to sneak them. people are watching and may ask for money because they thought you to a photo of "the poor monkey in the toy car". I had a guy accuse us of photographing his cobra act because of they way my assistant was holding a camera low on the side of his leg, in the end no big deal, just smile. Highly recommend a drive through the Atlas mountains

+1

I am SO EXCITED!! Just checked in online, this time tomorrow I'll be in Africa. I met up with a photographer pal who has just built a riad in Marrakech and got her to fill me in with all the local knowledge. I barely slept after that, it sounds awesome. I've got my travelling hat looked out, my English notes ready for conversion (abroad doesn't like Scottish notes), my camera batteries charged and I'm away to choose what kit is getting to come.

I'm alternately saying out loud "Like Websters dictionary I'm Morocco bound" and singing Brazil. I know. But I can't think of any Morocco songs. Feel free to enlighten me. Maybe the French Foreign Legion would be a more appropriate choice.

Huzzah!

Cool, have a great time! I've not been to Morocco but lived in Egypt for a while - my general advice is to be assertive, especially in the touristy areas. People are friendly but often look on tourists as "easy marks." All prices are negotiable and usually start very high (not just goods, also services).

Greetings from Marrakech! I've been here a couple of days now and it is the most bewildering city! I am good at maps and directions. I still spent 80% of today lost. Naturally I ended up at the tannery and then was chased for money by several different chaps.
The photo opportunities are patchy, especially with the NEX. It has two bad habits - the orange light on the front whilst it focuses and then the outrageously loud shutter noise. Neither are conducive to sneaky streetshooting. One problem I have hopefully solved by sellotaping a bit of cardboard from a toilet roll over the light, then colouring it black with a pen. I hope it didn't do anything useful.

I am going to upload the first few pictures into aperture and have a look. I have been taking it canny with both photography and shopping. People are funny about cameras - some don't want their picture taken (fair enough) and plenty will start to charge you as soon as they see the camera. I suppose everyone has to make a living.

I suspect a low keeper rate, especially for the hip shooting. I am hoping for some good donkeys though!

Greetings!
Sounds like you taped over the AF assist light - there should be an option to turn it off somewhere in the menu, I think?
Looking forward to seeing your shots!

8264189151_910a0a3767_b.jpg
[/url] Medersa Ben Youssef by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8264193815_6465210ed6_b.jpg
[/url] Medersa Ben Youssef by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8264198275_fa38fbbbdf_b.jpg
[/url] Dinner in the street. The sausages were fabulous by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8265269166_9261c26114_b.jpg
[/url] Knowing Donkey by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]
8264202337_76c038b1d9_b.jpg
[/url] Babouches by heather_t_vet, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back