Fuji X-E1 with 18-55mm Pictures (Assorted)

softgui

Rookie
Hi,

Seems like no one else is posting images here (does'nt anone else have a camera ? :rolleyes: )

All with the X-E1 and 18-55mm lens, some assorted pictures from a scooter ride I took up the coast north of Sydney, Australia this morning. Remember it's summer here and it was about midday - not a good time for outdoor shots !

Astia, ISO 800, NR=0, Highlight Tone=-1, Shadow Tone=-1, Colour=+1, Sharpness=+1, WB=Auto.

(Note: that these 3:2 Large were about 6mb each but I have down sized all of them to about 100k for web posting)

DSCF0263_9x6.jpg
DSCF0249_9x6.jpg
DSCF0267_9x6.jpg
DSCF0244_9x6.jpg
DSCF0277_9x6.jpg
DSCF0247_9x6.jpg

Nothing special like I say but it was a beautiful summers day and the X-E1 with 18-55mm is such a great combo !

regards - Simon

I 'm really doubting about getting the 18-55mm

how is the AF speed ?
build quality ?
low light performance ?

I 'm really doubting about getting the 18-55mm

how is the AF speed ?
build quality ?
low light performance ?

Hi Wolf,

AF Speed - as compared to what ? I have the X-E1 with both the 35mm and 18-55mm lenses, neither of these two combos are particularly fast in the AF dept if you ask me. I would not recommend either for high speed sport. I used to have the Nikon D2HS and alot of f/2.8 glass - now that had FAST AF speed :eek:

The X-E1 and 18-55mm AF is certainly fast enough for what I want it for.

Build Quality is very high. The rings (focus, aperture and zoom) on the barrel all turn completely silently and with a silky smoothness that make you want to fondle it in inappropriate ways :redface:

In my opinion, Fujifilm lenses are far higher quality builds than my Nikkor glass was. As for a Fujinon lens surviving a drop test, I would think the Nikkors might have a better chance of survival though.

Low Light Performance - sorry haven't tried it yet (apart from light bulb lighting indoors at night - where it performed just fine). I'll be doing an amusement park shoot this coming Fri or Sat night so will post results after that.

Other (Misc)

The only thing I have found a bit weird is that there is no f-stop aperture markings on the lens, this means that to find out what f-stop your using, it means looking at the viewfinder/LCD to find out. This bugs me a bit as I'm not used to it and it means a behavioural change :D

Another point to note is that since I have brought the 18-55mm lens, I have not bothered using the 35mm lens again. The 35mm sits at home doing nothing. To be fair on the 35mm, in the future, it's size and weight will be in its favour as the 18-55mm is about 1/3 again longer (in it's 18mm zoom position) and it is lighter and less conspicuous than the 18-55mm. But for now I use for 18-55mm for all my snapping.

I was going to get the 18mm or the 14mm (when it comes out) but I'm having 2nd thoughts now to be honest. The 18-55mm is covering off such a large % of my desires it's hard to build a case for the other primes. Like we both know, the primes will beat the zooms in the sharpness dept. but I'm not a sharpness freak, I go for the "look" / feeling that an image conveys rather than it's technical correctness (within reason of course).

Hope this helps :)

regards - Simon

Back