Fuji X100 with the new EF-X20 flash

phdezra

Regular
Hi all. I know X100 doesnt get much chatter here, but although no output photos from this combo yet, I know others have inquired as to how it looks. I have previously owned the X100 + EF-20 (larger flashgun, but same GN 20 as the new EF-X20). Anyway, I wanted a smaller flash than the EF-20, which although it can bounce, it is larger larger!. This one doesnt swivel, but has the addition of a built in diffuser (via switch). When I add a cheapo stofen/diffuser knock-off ($3), it works quite well esp in redirecting the light and pseudo-bouncing. If want to, you can compensate in 1/3 increments for Flash EV + or -. Samples forthcoming.

X100 + EF-X20
8248216168_607fba2ecf_c.jpg

X100 + EF-X20 + cheapo stofen diffuser
8247151385_282520aef4_c.jpg

Lastly, and in case anyonje is curious, the strap is from LanceCameraStraps.com: String Loop Adjustable | Lance Camera Straps

I've noticed lately that most camera forum chatter is about the newest stuff. But I just bought a new black X100 and I'm happy to talk about this "ancient" camera! Not sure yet if I need a flash, though. Just love what it does naturally.

I've noticed lately that most camera forum chatter is about the newest stuff. But I just bought a new black X100 and I'm happy to talk about this "ancient" camera! Not sure yet if I need a flash, though. Just love what it does naturally.

The X100 is still a camera I go back to again and again. I just cant help it. I had an E-M5, but sold it to get another X100 that I had given up.

The EF-X20 is a cute flash when you need more lighting. Here are two photos I just took, first with no flash; second with the EF-X20 and the diffuser. If you go to my Flickr set, you can see the full size images. Personally, I dont use flash for still life items, but for portraits, the flash can make people 'pop' at events and parties, imho,. when warranted.

Both photos taken from same spot, under harsh mix of fluorescent and incandescent lighting... ugh. The "no flash" looks more natural, but with flash has a certain charm of almost film-like coloration to it.

No Flash:
8248506442_e0d6b3e2f3_c.jpg

With flash:

8248506324_81912346a9_c.jpg

I like it. In practice, I find I use the built-in flash once in awhile to lighten up the shadowed side of faces in the sun or to get people against a sunset. As for externals, I really want something remote that I can hold in my hand off-angle, but I'm cheap and lazy, so I haven't figured out what that would be / how to get it / how to use it once I did.

I think the "coloration" you are seeing is from the warm ambient lighting while the camera is white balancing for a flash exposure. You might get a similar effect without flash by changing your white balance to daylight and shooting without the flash. I suggest that as you said you liked the warmer outcome

An often overlooked feature of this flash is it's ability to be used off-camera in a manual mode with really high synch speeds from the X10-X20-X100-X100s leaf shutters. Set the in-camera flash to manual at the lowest power setting, set your iso to about 200, set the camera to 1/1000 @ f4, go outside on a sunny day and be amazed at your ability to overpower the sun with this little flash at 4-5 feet from your subject, handholding it. Use the in-camera strobe to trigger the external flash held where ever you want it (there is a little switch on the bottom to pick the right slave mode-check the manual. Also a Canon TTL cord will work with these same cameras to give you TTL off camera flash.

An often overlooked feature of this flash is it's ability to be used off-camera in a manual mode with really high synch speeds from the X10-X20-X100-X100s leaf shutters.
Can't any off-brand flash do this with the Fujis?

Also a Canon TTL cord will work with these same cameras to give you TTL off camera flash.
Seriously? This is encouraging news. So specifically a Canon TTL cord, on any flash of just with these Fuji TTL flashes? Just awaiting reply and then off to eBay...;)

Back