LightRoom upgrade question

BillN

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill
I've lost track of where the software is these days

I am using Lightroom version 3.6

Any point in upgrading?

Have they made any progress in making "back up's" easier or the transfer of files and associated LR adjustments between one computer and another?

LR is up to 4.3 now Bill.

I think it is a lot better than 3.6, there are many enhancements to the development tools that I find useful. There are changes in the other modules too, but as I don't print, create books or whatnot, I can't tell you if they are better than 3.6. It is slower and bigger, though.

I'm not sure what problems you have with backing up, or transferring files, but there's nothing intrinsically changed in the way LR is organised on disk.
If you want to transfer adjustments, one way to do it is to export your chosen files as a catalogue and then import as a catalogue on another machine. This preserves the development history.

One major issue might be that - if you are a Windows user - it will only run on Windows 7 or above - not XP

Paul, I've been a "fruity" person for some time now

(although my son has persuaded me to get a Google Nexus 7!!)

I just about mastered the back up and transfer procedure some time ago but it is just a fiddle and takes so long ......... the reason I never upgraded was that I downloaded the upgrade version and (as you have) found it so slow as to be almost unusable, (for me anyway), so I never used it and stayed with 3.6

The very latest is nowhere near as bad (on my system at least) as the 4.0 and 4.1 versions - which were close on unusable - but it is still a wee bit less nippy than v3. But not so much that I consider it a mistake to have upgraded.
The thing to do is try it for yourself. Or not, if you are happy that 3.6 does all you want and need.

Back