Fuji Is everyone loving their X-Pro1...cos I'm not!

Name
Andy
I dunno why but I just don't like it very much. The IQ is great but I do preferred the X100 files. I also don't like the way it feels in my hands which is a real shame. It feels like a light weight brick if that makes sense? The X100 felt solid and had substance where the XP feels kinda empty. I was hoping it would be a X100 with a rocket up it's bottom but for me it's just not hitting the right buttons. So it's up for sale :(

Hey ho...what next??? And No....not the X100s as I would prefer an interchangeable system and have always been tempted by full frame.

Any ideas?

I kind of understand what you mean. When I picked up an X-Pro1 it felt no heavier than my E-M5 but with a notably larger overall volume. It felt strange but I could probably get used to if I was to own one. Would the smaller X-E1 feel any heftier?

I have to admit that im a bit surprised you prefer the x100 files (unless you're a raw only shooter). I agree that the xpro seems...oversized, and vaguely empty or too light given its size. It just feels like it should be heavier. The x-e1 feels like a more dense and weighty camera (more like the metal skinned olympus pens vs a plasticy body). Might want to try it out in person.

I love my X-Pro1, just not quite as much as my X100. I starting loving the X-Pro1 a little more when I got the grip. For me, heavier is better (to a point). As long as the form is good, I like a bit of heft. And I tired the X-E1 and it is definitely denser. For me, it felt a bit too small and cramped. It's funny what small differences can make. The X100 feels like the right size, but put a bigger lens on it like on the X-E1 and then it feels too small. Just my 2 cents.

Have you tried the X-E1, Andy?

I dunno why but I just don't like it very much. The IQ is great but I do preferred the X100 files. I also don't like the way it feels in my hands which is a real shame. It feels like a light weight brick if that makes sense? The X100 felt solid and had substance where the XP feels kinda empty. I was hoping it would be a X100 with a rocket up it's bottom but for me it's just not hitting the right buttons. So it's up for sale :(

Hey ho...what next??? And No....not the X100s as I would prefer an interchangeable system and have always been tempted by full frame.

Any ideas?

Love mine.
How many frames have you put through the X-Pro 1?

Anyway, maybe think through what you like to shoot, and how, and with what lenses.

And maybe it's just a gear thing and not about photography.

I use it more than the Nikon D700. I much prefer the X Pro files to the X100. In fact the only reason I'm getting an X100S is because it has the same sensor as the X Pro. All the other improvements don't interest me. I would have upgraded if they had just changed the sensor. As far as the size is concerned, for me the X Pro the perfect size. I don't like really small cameras where all the buttons are close to each other, but that's a personal preference. Much as I love the X100 I hate the little control wheel on the back and the tiny menu button. If I had to choose between the D700 and the X Pro it would be no choice. I would sell the D700 without a second thought. That said I'm kind of weird, I prefer the D700 to the D600. I tried out a D600 at a camera shop. I decided against upgrading. The D700 is just a classic DSLR. It's big, it's clunky, and it just does what it is supposed to.

The XE looks really great but I use the OVF more than 50% of the time.

I pretty much love the X-Pro too. Yeah, it seems big and kind of empty at first, but that sensation lasted all of about five minutes for me. The size is perfect for getting at stuff easily without being in the way. I liked the feel of the X100 a touch more, but the controls on the X-Pro a bit more. I shoot pretty much everything with the 18mm and only occasionally reach for the 35mm. Not sure if I'll keep the 35 - I may replace it with the 23 when its available because that's a focal length I can find my way around and will sometimes reach for. And not sure if I'll go for the 14mm or not - that might be too wide to work well with the OVF and if it doesn't work well with the OVF, no point in it for me. All of the specialty stuff I have for, and do with, the OMD - the X-Pro is a walk around with a prime or two type of camera for me and its a wonderful camera to shoot with and the IQ is incredible. If the 28mm wide angle adapter had been available for the X100 I might never have gotten the X-Pro, but I don't have anything even resembling a regret.

I have to say I'm kind of relieved to see you not liking something though Andy. The way you gush over most cameras, I was beginning to think you had no standards or it was the camera salesman in you coming through. So this is good to hear, even if its contrary to my feelings about the camera!

-Ray

I have to admit that im a bit surprised you prefer the x100 files (unless you're a raw only shooter).

Probably of good example of why, as much as we might want to be able to, it is really not possible for anyone to definitively say that camera 'A' produces better files than camera 'B', because image quality is highly subjective. It may be possible to make universal statements based on measurable technical qualities, but it's hard to rate the overall "look" when everyone sees differently. As in, "camera 'A' has greater dynamic range, but I just prefer what I see from camera 'B'".

I've spent a lot of time looking through sample images from various cameras that I am interested in but don't own, and while acknowledging that there a million different variables involved in comparing images taken at different times in different places by different photographers using different cameras, I think that on a macroscopic level I also have a slight preference towards the X100 (but I wouldn't stand up in court and say that with any surety!).

The Japanese don't actually think adding weight to a product makes the product anything but heavy. Heavy is not a positive trait. Personally, I agree. I don't need to carry any more weight than necessary.

I use it more than the Nikon D700. I much prefer the X Pro files to the X100. In fact the only reason I'm getting an X100S is because it has the same sensor as the X Pro. All the other improvements don't interest me. I would have upgraded if they had just changed the sensor. As far as the size is concerned, for me the X Pro the perfect size. I don't like really small cameras where all the buttons are close to each other, but that's a personal preference. Much as I love the X100 I hate the little control wheel on the back and the tiny menu button. If I had to choose between the D700 and the X Pro it would be no choice. I would sell the D700 without a second thought. That said I'm kind of weird, I prefer the D700 to the D600. I tried out a D600 at a camera shop. I decided against upgrading. The D700 is just a classic DSLR. It's big, it's clunky, and it just does what it is supposed to.

The XE looks really great but I use the OVF more than 50% of the time.

I agree about the XPro size. It's never cramped, never heavy, but is robust and fits in a small bag with its beautiful lenses. The problem I am having is that the X100s is calling me - the sensor I love added to the X100. Nice.

I find your D700 /600 thoughts interesting. I have never had a 700, but really liked its controls and feel. I checked out the 600. Very solid feature list, and a nice camera. But to me it just didn't feel comfortable. Getting picky in my old age I suppose.

Thanks for all the replies guy's. It's not so much an IQ issue as the X-Pro is pretty good but it's more the way the camera feels as a package. Weirdly I enjoy the GF5 and 20mm more!?!?! I have played with the X-E1 quite a lot and it's much lighter than the Xpro. When I first picked it up it felt like a bit of cheap plastic and it also felt empty. Pop a 35mm on and it felt totally different weight wise but still feels plastic.

It's just a camera.
If every time you pick it up you're thinking about the things you don't like about it, you probably won't make good pictures with it.
Use the camera you like using.

Yep, these "connection" issues are important and so personal. I loved the E-M5, but it always felt heavy to me compared with the comparably-sized E-P3 that felt just right. Others associate the E-M5 weight with quality or feel that it helps them hold it steadier, while the E-P3 feels "empty".

I like the way the X-Pro1 feels and handles. Greatly prefer the Fuji to the similarly sized but much heavier Leica M9P.

Yep, these "connection" issues are important and so personal. I loved the E-M5, but it always felt heavy to me compared with the comparably-sized E-P3 that felt just right. Others associate the E-M5 weight with quality or feel that it helps them hold it steadier, while the E-P3 feels "empty".

I like the way the X-Pro1 feels and handles. Greatly prefer the Fuji to the similarly sized but much heavier Leica M9P.

Your credit card likely prefers the lighter weight too. :)
But yes, the connection is important. My wife has a Pana G3 and has connected with it way more than any other camera. She can't put it down. I know it's a very good camera, but I just don't like it much.

To me, the XE1 doesn't feel as "empty" as the XP1. Other than the hybrid VF, they had to cram the same parts plus the flash inside a smaller body making the XE1 a bit denser than the XP1. I do miss the OVF though ... sigh ...

To me, the XE1 doesn't feel as "empty" as the XP1. Other than the hybrid VF, they had to cram the same parts plus the flash inside a smaller body making the XE1 a bit denser than the XP1. I do miss the OVF though ... sigh ...

Well, it's not against the rules to have both cameras...

(I get the feeling we're not helping poor Ghosthunter.)

Back