Square Portrait EM5 + Olympus 75mm 1.8

christilou

Legend
P1110070-3.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very nice as usual Christina. Your portraits of your daughters are always a real treat - all of the talent and good eye and gear and technique and your love for them all come through incredibly well.

That lens is a real treat for this type of work - I've taken to doing more of it than ever before specifically because of that. Its soooo sharp though that sometimes you just have to add some softening in post production to make it work as a portrait. I've done that a lot with this lens and that's not the direction I usually go in post. It appears you did the same here??

-Ray

Thanks for looking. To say I'm pleased with this lens on the EM5 would be an understatement. I'm totally smitten with it's rendering of the light. I nearly always use a soft focus filter for portraits, even for the dog and so when I saw the early samples from this lens, I was sceptical of it's use for portraits, or at least the kind that I like to shoot. However, I've been keeping my eye on the price here in the UK and it's been £649 for some time. When I saw it on Amazon for £639 I made up my mind and I think in doing so, I've committed myself to this little EM5. It does so much so well that I can't see myself parting with it. I think the lenses play a large part too and this one is the icing on the cake for me :) I also worried that the 75mm (150mm) might be too long but have not found this to be so (luckily).

LOL! But the way you portray her sure makes her look angelic!

Christina, do you have to stand a pretty good distance off? Typically about how far to get a head and shoulders photo?

I'm a lazy photographer and most often I'll be sitting at my table with my iMac, grab the camera from next to me and fire off a few shots if the light is nice. I guess she's sitting about 5 or 6 feet away from me. I may have to lean a little back but it's certainly no great distance.

I had the 70/2.4 Ltd briefly for the K5, and it was a very nice lens. Although the focal length is different, I'm very tempted to get the 75/1.8. This is going to sound weird, but I totally will hate the silver lens on my black OMD though!

Yeah, I've been surprised at just how useable that lens is. I thought it might be too long a lot of the time and I'd end up using the 45 a lot. But even in relatively small rooms, it's good for chest up portraits and if you're sitting close to the subject, it's still good for close head and shoulders or just head shots. I've used the 45 once since I've had the 75 and the shots I did would have worked fine with the longer lens. Now I'm contemplating selling the 45....

-Ray

What?? A silver lens and it doesn't come with a silver cap? Outrageous!! :)

I totally regret not waiting longer for the silver OMD instead of the all black. Sigh ...

Back