Possum.

There's been some very hot days this summer.

I have a 4 foot aquarium next to my couch along the wall. I was sitting on the couch a few nights ago watching TV when I heard a tiny sneeze. I turned around and there was a little baby/juvenile possum perched on top of my aquarium drinking the water.

8361474924_a43bb6a33e_z.jpg

After taking a few shots with my camera, I looked up the internet and found out that they can be fed apples amongst other things, so my girlfriend cut a piece and I gingerly handed it to the possum, half expecting it to bite off my fingers. It started licking the apple, then it licked my finger, and then it climbed on my hand and ate the apple. My girlfriend snapped the following shots:

8360425875_6be3697f19_z.jpg

It was very hungry.

8360407401_6a47fbf5d8_z.jpg

8361468260_db3b34bcb1_z.jpg

And then, after it finished eating, it curled up and went to sleep in my hand. For a wild animal to do this, it must've been extremely thirsty, hungry, and tired.

8360419697_2c2fff1f0f_z.jpg

8361485336_cda28a665e_z.jpg

We wrapped it up in an old towel and placed it in a padded ice cream tub, and I placed the tub on the night stand next to the bed.

But my cat woke me up before sunrise to tell me that the ice cream tub had fallen off at some point. We searched all over the house, no sign of the possum. All we can do is hope that it found its family again or is otherwise ok up in the trees somewhere in the suburb.

That is a good looking, cute possum. They can be domesticated. The opossums we have here, I believe, are the only marsupials in North America. They are vey ugly, scary ugly with long hairless snouts and tails.

Gary

My cat has brought home lost baby birds before for me, unharmed. I think he may have found this little thing and brought it home too. My cat was behaving a little strangely in a non-aggressive way before I realised there was a possum in the house.

That is a good looking, cute possum. They can be domesticated. The opossums we have here, I believe, are the only marsupials in North America. They are vey ugly, scary ugly with long hairless snouts and tails.

Gary

To be fair they only get scary ugly after they grow up, they're actually pretty cute when young.

Australia as a continent was isolated by the ocean a very long time ago with no predatory species for the marsupials that lived here. So they were able to evolve into a variety of species here without being hunted into extinction, and also evolved quite differently from marsupials in other continents. So that's why we have the koala here, the kangaroo, and platypus, amongst others.

Back