Show best of the month - January 2013

Briar

Hall of Famer
The last day of the first month of 2013 is upon us. Rather than wait until the end of the year to see your favourite images from the past year wouldn't it be nice to see your favourite or best image for each calendar month? A little reflection on the image and why you like it at this point in time would also be nice to look back on at the end of the year.

So folks, if you are in, post your favourite or best photograph from January 2013 with your words for reflection.

Waterfall at Mattiscombe

SDIM0059.jpg

Sadly there are few shots to pick from this January, so this one will have to suffice. I like the wet texture and pattern evident in the rock. It might just be the start of a series showing details in the landscape, rather than the whole picture as it were.

Barrie

Nice idea for a thread - might also make it easier to pull together a year end "best of" selection also if forced to think about it month by month. This one is my favorite of what I've done in January (which was a very light month of shooting for me). It was far from my most popular - not a mention on flickr or anywhere I've posted it, whereas some others got a lot more attention. But I like street shooting and there's something about the lines and shades and lines and shapes of this overall image, and the slightly blurred and wind-blown features of the woman in it, that I keep coming back to. And I always like vaguely mysterious doorways, opened or closed...

View attachment 64945

-Ray

Sadly there are few shots to pick from this January, so this one will have to suffice. I like the wet texture and pattern evident in the rock. It might just be the start of a series showing details in the landscape, rather than the whole picture as it were.

Barrie
I also quite like the way the grasses above the waterfall sort of mimic and lead the eye into the falling water. Really interesting similarity - the grass growing up, the water falling down, but basically the same vertical lines and texture...

-Ray

I also quite like the way the grasses above the waterfall sort of mimic and lead the eye into the falling water. Really interesting similarity - the grass growing up, the water falling down, but basically the same vertical lines and texture...

-Ray

Thanks Ray, it's informative to get such views, I probably don't analyse my pictures enough, tending to be happy with what pleases the eye in scenes like the one posted.

Barrie

Damn Luke. It looks like ghosts either should (or already HAVE) start wafting out of the higher reaches of that tower, swirling around it, and reeking havoc all over the metropolis.

That's a hell of a shot, and well processed as well...

-Ray

Good to see everyone's start to 2013! Living in a normally hot & arid part of the US, it was a special treat for us to spend time with friends in the mountains of southern Colorado around the New Year, witnessing a nice blanket of snow during our stay and the local "pine cone" drop on New Year's Eve (a small town version of the NY apple...). My photo shows our departing view of North Lake, which I had never seen frozen over until then- you can still see some radial dike outcropping in front of the mountains, part of the natural beauty in that part of the country.

8342088661_562b245e28_b.jpg

frozen North Lake by AZK9lover11, on Flickr

All images shot with the OM-D.

GRAA0631-XL.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The best beer I have ever enjoyed.
P35-100 @ 68mm

GRAA0067-L.jpg

Wine tasting in Solvang, CA with the O15mm Lens Cap.

Whitney High School Grand Opening for the Media Art Center:

GRAA0343.jpg

P35-100 @ 100mm

GRAA0435.jpg

P35-100 @ 100mm

GRAA0690-L.jpg

P7-14 @ 14mm

So far 2013 has mostly been about 2012...and 2011...and 2010...basically catching up on a lot of neglected, unprocessed images before an upcoming trip. My flickr account has therefore been far busier than my cameras.

This might be my favourite from my small 2013 collection, taken with my Panasonic GH1 + 14-45mm zoom.

8391631637_3b88066f47_b.jpg

Back