Sony Think I'll try a NEX6

wt21

Hall of Famer
I had a 5n, but sold it off. I didnt like only LCD framing, nor the fragile evf. Also didnt like the controls.

Think I'll try a 6. I was looking back through some pics of my 5n with CV40, and I got some really awesome shots. I just wonder if the hybrid AF will do anything for me. It'll be interesting to compare to my oly epl5.

I wouldn't expect the AF to be anything remotely close to that of the E-PL5. Claire would be able to tell you though, she had a NEX 6 and NEX 7 as well as a Panasonic GX1 (similarly fast AF to the E-PL5).

Yes I concur the 6 feels more like a real camera (vs the 5N like a sensor with a small plastic case around it !), and the extra controls are nice. If money isn't an object I'd strongly suggest you move all the way up the NEX ladder to the 7. That's the best NEX without any doubt in my mine for shooting experience. I'm getting another asap I think.

Yes I concur the 6 feels more like a real camera (vs the 5N like a sensor with a small plastic case around it !), and the extra controls are nice. If money isn't an object I'd strongly suggest you move all the way up the NEX ladder to the 7. That's the best NEX without any doubt in my mine for shooting experience. I'm getting another asap I think.

Lol a nex again ? :)

Yep Wolf, the X100 that I tried has no faithful exposure simulation which is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I have a GX-1 on loan which is great for fast AF but I still want an APS-c option, so it looks like I'm tied with NEX for now..

Having just played with Nex6 the other day in our camera shop, I would also add it feels much more as a proper camera in comparison with my Nex3 that I use daily. The camera is a bit bigger, but in the most positive way (at least for me), not too big, but has a much better grip, integrated EVF and a thumb scrolling wheel. If money was not considered, Nex6 would be my choice also.

Yep Wolf, the X100 that I tried has no faithful exposure simulation which is pretty much a deal breaker for me. I have a GX-1 on loan which is great for fast AF but I still want an APS-c option, so it looks like I'm tied with NEX for now..

What happened to the EX 1 ? ;)

I agree that the nex 6/7 feels a lot more like a real camera then the 3,5 and 5n

If money isn't an object I'd strongly suggest you move all the way up the NEX ladder to the 7.

I suppose its too late for me, as I've already ordered the 6. Found a body only for $690 used, which I thought was reasonable.

For me, I think the controls will be enough' as I got along fine with an EPM1, and will likely just shoot MF with this camera. I also prefer lower MP, as I don't crop a lot and don't want to manage the extra storage. I also get perturbed at pf (yes I know its one-click fixable in LR, but it just annoys me). Other than the tri-navi, what else on the 7 gives it an advantage?

Well the TriNavi in itself is not to be underestimated. It puts the 7 in a totally other dimension when it comes to handling and how you want to use the controls. The 6 is better than the 5N in this regard, but still feels a bit hobbled in terms of UI. The 7 really is in another league in usability. I was also pleasantly surprised by the 24mp chip, but the 6 is totally excellent for IQ as well. It's a serious, no frills, camera that gets the job done.

What happened to the EX 1 ? ;)

I agree that the nex 6/7 feels a lot more like a real camera then the 3,5 and 5n

What happened to the X-E1, is that like the X100 it doesnt display faithful reliable exposure preview, and that being my number one reason for chosing a mirrorless over a DSLR, it is a deal breaker for me. I'm very, very disappointed as I truly hoped to enjoy this cam which checks a lot of other boxes, but I can't get over that flaw.

I got a Nex 6 yesterday (body only) to go with a recently purchased 35mm f/1.8 OSS. I've only taken a few shots with it so far, but have to say that the IQ is awesome. Handling is great too, much better than the Nex 5 I used to own. The only thing I've found not to like is removing the SD card, which seems fiddly compared to my Alpha 77 and RX100.

Well, I'm disappointed. I got the NEX6 tonight, and am on the edge to just return it right back.

I think the ergos of the 5n were better. Better weight balance. The EVF I thought was supposed to be great. It's pretty poor. The magnification isn't consistent, so as I move the camera around the scene, the EVF warps the view a bit. The body (which I got used) shipped with no lens and no body cap! Seems OK, but still. And it took FOREVER to charge. My fault: I missed that it was in-camera charging only.

If I return it (bought it on Amazon marketplace), I'll eat the return shipping. Just not blown-away by it at all. My VF2 on my EPL5 is a better EVF than the NEX6, and the Oly VF2 is, what, 3 years old now?

No, no interest in the NEX7. I'll have to decide in a day or so on the NEX6. Just really surprised.

I'm going to return the NEX6. It's just not making sense for me. I am surprised, but I really prefer the center-location of the EVF on the EPL5.

I can't seem to sell my EPL3, so I'll settle back into two m43 bodies for now (EPL5 and EPL3) along with the 5D and RX100. More camera than I can reasonably use anyway.

Back