Panasonic Panasonic LF1 announced

Somehow, I thought Panasonic would be rushing to get a one-inch sensor into its next enthusiast compact. Given that the Sony RX100's lens is f/4.9 at 100mm, I wonder what the aperture of this lens is at the same focal length. If it's significantly faster, it might be okay. One wouldn't use anything substantially longer than 100mm indoors anyway.

But the EVF is a non-starter for me. Why on God's green earth didn't Panasonic put the EVF from the FZ200 in the new camera? I'll do better with my LX7 - same sensor, much faster (although shorter) lens and I can use the same high-resolution EVF that works on my GX1.

No GAS, but the beginning of a new trend of integrated EVFs? If yes, than this is an important camera as it will show competition what to do next. A RX101 with integrated EVF and a faster lens at the long end would be quite something, even if it was slightly bigger than the RX100.

No GAS, but the beginning of a new trend of integrated EVFs? If yes, than this is an important camera as it will show competition what to do next. A RX101 with integrated EVF and a faster lens at the long end would be quite something, even if it was slightly bigger than the RX100.

I hope you are right. But I am concerned that at $500 and with these specs this camera will attract neither the enthusiasts nor the normal folks, and may serve as a lesson to Panasonic and others that an integrated VF is a mistake.

I would have much preferred it if Panny had gone "all in" with this, along the lines of the RX101 you describe.

$500? Could this be why the RX100 has recently started selling for under $500 in Japan. Maybe Sony is trying to crush it before it sees the light of day. I don't think Sony has anything to worry about. I think this will quickly join the LX7 in the under $300 club.

Well, it offers the same focal length range as the Nikon P7700, only slower and with fewer manual controls. In return for these downsides, it's smaller. I don't think the EVF will excite many people, but based on the other specs, it could be an alternative to the P7700 for those who want a smaller camera, or an alternative to the Canon S110 for those who want a longer reach...

Well, it offers the same focal length range as the Nikon P7700, only slower and with fewer manual controls. In return for these downsides, it's smaller. I don't think the EVF will excite many people, but based on the other specs, it could be an alternative to the P7700 for those who want a smaller camera, or an alternative to the Canon S110 for those who want a longer reach...

Having recently handled a P7700 and a P310, I can say that cameras frankly get too small to be able to easily access the controls - it quickly becomes a two handed juggle as you try to get just a finger tip on a tiny button while not dropping the shiny slippery body. That's why I'd rather take a P7700 (almst identical to an Oly E-P3 body size) over the smaller P310 because for me it has that balance of size, weight and build quality that says this is a camera worth carrying around.

Having recently handled a P7700 and a P310, I can say that cameras frankly get too small to be able to easily access the controls - it quickly becomes a two handed juggle as you try to get just a finger tip on a tiny button while not dropping the shiny slippery body. That's why I'd rather take a P7700 (almst identical to an Oly E-P3 body size) over the smaller P310 because for me it has that balance of size, weight and build quality that says this is a camera worth carrying around.

I was gonna comment on this thread but looks like you did that for me already, could not have said it better myself...:)

Think of a LX8 with a higher spec EVF, the LX7`s fast zoom and the Sony 1 inch sensor. Now that would be quite something and give me a GAS outbreak.

Back