Sigma A Dartmoor walk with a DP1M

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
The morning dawned bright and clear, no wind but a very light frost. By 07:30 I was at Moorgate near Owley on the southern fringe of Dartmoor.

SDIM0123.jpg

A few minutes north of Moorgate and the vista north opens up, in the woods below and to the right flows the Glazebrook, centre distance the fresh green of a high Beech plantation, my object for this mornings walk

SDIM0129.jpg

The damp climate with very clean air is conducive to the growth of lichens, here a form of bearded lichen is draped across the branches of this tree

SDIM0133.jpg

Down in the valley the Glazebrook flows south to join the River Avon south of South Brent. Above it the beautiful pale fresh spring green of the newly opened beech leaves

SDIM0160.jpg

As the morning progresses there are signs of a build up of fair weather cloud

SDIM0167.jpg

Climbing higher through rock clitter with its attendant distorted trees

SDIM0172.jpg

The distant beech plantation has been reached

SDIM0179.jpg

To the north west rather less friendly cloud is building. I was lucky to only catch the edge of two or three showers, they contained hail with a noticeable drop in temperature. I understand that some 10-20 miles further north torrential hail storms caused some traffic disruption and accidents

SDIM0181.jpg

I elected to continue north and came across what appeared to be the highest growing tree hereabouts. The clump of twigs in its branches is almost certainly a ravens nest, if it's been used this year the young would have only left some 7-10 days ago, there were certainly several ravens around. A wild place to start ones life, but that is the lot of ravens, birds of wild places.

SDIM0185.jpg

A final look at the beech plantation as I descend after a very enjoyable mornings walk.

Barrie

Back