Nikon Waterproof Camera Shootout: Nikon AW110 Wins!

Nice review! I'd prefer a camera that can be charged using a USB cable, but in terms of everything else, the Nikon looks like it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's a shootout between the premium rugged compacts, the Nikon put up the strongest showing by far!

Thanks for posting. I keep thinking about buying the Olympus, but this has given me reason to consider the Nikon as well. I was sucked in to the faster lens, but it appears that it may not make that much difference.

However, curious about the Ricoh and Pentax waterproofs not being part of the shootout...

Unfortunately, we had to restrict how many cameras we tested to avoid making a 20 minute video, even the 12 minute length is sort of pushing it. Knowing that, Chris and I decided to focus on the higher priced 'premium' underwater cameras, around the $350 mark. If you're in the mood for a flashback, we did shoot a review of the WG-1 (another damned fishing video), which you can see here:
[video=youtube;prwcceG7U8w]

I wonder if anyone would ever make a "Serious Waterproof"? How about an submersible X100? Or a UGR (Underwater GR)?
I'd buy one of those cameras in an instant! That's basically my dream camera...

I think the Olympus TG-1 and 2, and the Pentax WG3, with their f/2 lenses are a small step in that direction. Every time I read about a manufacturer cutting down on basic point and shoots (due to smartphones becoming more popular) and focusing on market segments that are still growing, the examples they mention are either waterproof / action cameras, high-quality enthusiasts' cameras or cameras with lots of zoom. It's only a matter of time until they start combining those categories (high quality high zooms are already showing up), which will lead to a very happy but poor Bart...

Oh, and one thing I really appreciated about the review was the comment about plastic cameras. If done sensibly, plastic cameras can be both lighter and more rugged than metal cameras, but for some reason lots of camera enthusiasts seem to think a non-metal camera can't be good. Plastics and composites are used to keep racing drivers alive in a crash, military firearms, jet fighters and other airplanes are increasingly built with plastics and composites - but still, so many camera fans are sure that any camera not made of metal is a piece of crap. I love the cold touch of metal, but as long as it's done sensibly, I wouldn't mind high-grade cameras being made out of plastics. The body shell of the Samsung NX10, for instance, felt like a military-grade piece of equipment to me...

Unfortunately, we had to restrict how many cameras we tested to avoid making a 20 minute video, even the 12 minute length is sort of pushing it. Knowing that, Chris and I decided to focus on the higher priced 'premium' underwater cameras, around the $350 mark. If you're in the mood for a flashback, we did shoot a review of the WG-1 (another damned fishing video), which you can see here

Thanks, Jordan... I think I saw that before. Maybe another, with the PX and WG-3? lol. One can ask.

Nice reviews!
I have a Nikon AW100 too and loves it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Best Waterproof Camera
Gear: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4, Nikon CoolPix AW110, Canon PowerShot D20

Be careful what you wish for

I wonder if anyone would ever make a "Serious Waterproof"? How about an submersible X100? Or a UGR (Underwater GR)?

But rather thankful that Nikon decided to play the part of "serious waterproof" god-mother with the AW1

Scoot..!!!

scom.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back