Fuji Fuji XE-1 OOC jpegs not so great

I'll bet a bit of exposure compensation would have fixed the jpg - at least that's what it looks like on my monitor. But maybe I'm missing something, which is entirely possible. But at least the highlights were there to recover in raw.

I'm not a pixel peeper, but they look pretty similar to me. There seem to be some artifacts in the second from some heavy use of the sliders. I don't think you can really compare JPEGs to totally tweaked RAW files. The settings you use on one photo would not work on another one. I think JPEG settings are an attempt at a compromise to settings that will work well on most files.

The JPEGs I get out of the Fuji are nicer than the JPEGs I get out of my Olympus. Have you adjusted the jpeg settings in camera to suit your tastes in processing?

Well I only shoot Jpegs so don't have the experience of RAW but they look similar to me at this size & I agree with Biro on the after tweak - Optimisation on the Fuji finepix editor nearly always works for me with Jpegs

It might not be obvious on the small size jpeg uploaded, but the watercolor smearing bothers me in the first one. It`s most pronounced with the tree and bush in the middle part of the frame. I know a number of cameras which can do this better. Aperture does a pretty good job in improving on this weakness of the Fuji sensor.

Sadly your first image is sharper than the Ricoh GR I just sent back to the store. It was defective of course. Good to see the raw difference. Quite a difference it makes here. I'm seeing the definition most in the clouds myself, the second image has dimension, the first doesn't.

Back