Sigma About to buy a Sigma DP2

ivoire

All-Pro
Name
mike
I'm putting in an order today after seeing the images in this forum. Any advice on the best sd card for use with it? or other accessories i might need?

Are you planning to get the original DP2 or the new DP2 Merrill? In either case, this guide helped me out tremendously: Advice for sigma dp1, dp2 & dp3 users

Writing to the SD card is very slow, but you can continue to change exposure and take photos with the Merrill. You just can't preview the image for several seconds. I don't know what the best card to use, since I just use the SD cards I had before. But speed is perhaps more important for these cameras than others.

Edit

Use the camera for a while before you decide on accessories. You'll get a feel for what you'd like to add. Perhaps a grip or a viewfinder will enhance the experience, but they aren't necessary. The most important accessory is an extra set of batteries (or 3 extra sets). Next is a tripod.

The original lens hood and the Richard Franiec grip are "must have" accessories. The OVF depends on your preference of how to frame and shoot.

I just placed the order from Adorama as they have a good return policy. I already know the IQ is excellent, just have to decide if i can live with the quirks. It will get a workout when it arrives in 2 days.

I thought the official lens hood for the previous generation was good, but I discovered the OP/Tech Fast Cap and use it for the Merrill. It protrudes enough to act like a hood, although I doubt it blocks the light as well as the official hood. Here is mine on the Gordy's Camera Straps tumblr: gordy's camera straps gallery: Photo

It's not as pretty as the official hood, but I love it. No more worrying about where to put the lens cap when shooting.

I thought the official lens hood for the previous generation was good, but I discovered the OP/Tech Fast Cap and use it for the Merrill. It protrudes enough to act like a hood, although I doubt it blocks the light as well as the official hood. Here is mine on the Gordy's Camera Straps tumblr: gordy's camera straps gallery: Photo

It's not as pretty as the official hood, but I love it. No more worrying about where to put the lens cap when shooting.

Do you find the cap system awkward? I like the idea as i'm always wondering where the **** i put the lens cap

If you wanna do macro then get the close up lens AML-2. When using it it doesn't seem to make much diference but when you look at the images you are that much closer and can zoom in on the image to get really close sharp images.

I bought Sandisk 16gb Extreme PRO SDHC cards for both my Merrills.

Oh I reckon you're going to be one very happy chappy Mike. Congratulations and please be sure to add more to the growing temptation of Merrill images.

If you wanna do macro then get the close up lens AML-2. When using it it doesn't seem to make much diference but when you look at the images you are that much closer and can zoom in on the image to get really close sharp images.

I bought Sandisk 16gb Extreme PRO SDHC cards for both my Merrills.

Hi Andy - Not sure if you can answer but does the closeup lens on the DP2M compare favourably to the DP3M, which has macro focusing capability?

Hi Andy - Not sure if you can answer but does the closeup lens on the DP2M compare favourably to the DP3M, which has macro focusing capability?

I have no idea I'm afraid but I'm guessing that the DP3 would be better in the macro arena. I prefer the DP2 as it is a better focal length for me and I can add the AML-2 if required. If you do portrait and macro then the DP3 will be the one to get.

got stuck at the RR Xing today by 3 freight trains so jumped out with the DP2 Merrill. The detail with this camera is incredible.

9078212463_3ddb43d631_b.jpg
[/url] diesel 7850 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

9080282148_9198438696_b.jpg
[/url] diesel 5872 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

9080621594_5490813a78_b.jpg
[/url] diesel 5059 by 2Deye, on Flickr[/IMG]

Do you find the cap system awkward? I like the idea as i'm always wondering where the **** i put the lens cap

Sorry I missed this question. It's not awkward to use; it's straightforward actually. It does feel a bit bigger than it needs to be, compared to the stock lens cap. However, the size provides the benefit of acting like a lens hood.

Back