Ricoh Ricoh GR - film vs. digital

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Gotta say the new Ricoh GR digital - especially since we are getting closer to full frame - is mighty tempting :D
I've had the GRDii and liked it a lot. I've had a GR1s and LOVED it! I'm in awe of the fact that Ricoh have stuck with the tried-and-true form factor since 1996 with the release of the GR1.

One thing they have lost is the little tunnel VF. OK it wasn't grand or generous but it was mighty helpful. I'd like to see them reinstalled in the modern GR - and they don't take up much room. Anyone else agree or have we gotten that used to composing at arm's length?
NB: this is precisely why I'm re-enjoying the x100.

I like shooting with viewfinders and without, but for small cameras with wider focal length, I'm generally happier without. I had one of Ricoh's little hot-shoe OVFs for the GRD3 and GXR for a while and even when it was on the camera, I used it almost never. The rear screens on the GR and most new cameras are a lot better than the ones on those cameras so bright sun is rarely a problem anymore. So, no, I don't need a viewfinder on every camera. Although I love using the RX1 with the EVF, Fuji cameras with viewfinders, and my OMD with a viewfinder when i'm shooting with a longer lens (for wider lenses, I generally use the flip up screen at waist level). But for the GR or the Nikon A, I wouldn't buy one of the hot-shoe OVFs offered.

-Ray

The thing that I found when first moving from a DSLR to an E-P1 at the time was how restrictive the eye-level viewfinder was when it came to composition, and cameras with articulated screens were even better again. So no, I don't lament the move away from viewfinders very much at all.

And I'm going in the opposite direction from Nic. I was fine with my old E-P1 and gf1....never needed or wanted a viewfinder, but now that I have a few cameras with viewfinders, I naturally bring the camera to my eye.....even when there is no viewfinder there. I suppose a certain amount of it is habits and what you get used to.

I can't see a damn thing on a camera screen if I haven't got glasses on, as I'm now so long sighted.
So a vf has become rather important to me

Same here. I'm really struggling with my GXR for which I can't afford the EVF at the moment.

I can't see a damn thing on a camera screen if I haven't got glasses on, as I'm now so long sighted.

Being a 'sunny day shooter' it was sometimes impossible to see the lcd. A evf solved the problem but it gets limited use. I like having both.

I just came back from a morning walk on a sunny day. I couldn't see the LCD well enough to know if the shots was in focus. Now there's a catch 22..... the DP2M begs to be used in good light, but the screen is worthless in it.

I just came back from a morning walk on a sunny day. I couldn't see the LCD well enough to know if the shots was in focus. Now there's a catch 22..... the DP2M begs to be used in good light, but the screen is worthless in it.

I did have this issue with the GR but only once. I was unable to see the lcd so to counter it I put the camera on auto and let it choose. Then facing the subject from a different perspective I was able to see the lcd and go back to aperture. There is an external vf you can get for such purposes not to mention the wide angle lens so I wouldn't pass the camera up due to that- I guess it all depends on how often you use the camera and what for as to if you need them. LCD and Liveview or coupled VF I am fine. LOVE TLR finders, btw. And really curious about Fuji's hybrid on the X100s..

Yes, me too! It really is one of the more irritating aspects of getting old... (along with all the other irritating aspects:D).

For me a viewfinder is pretty much essential on any camera I use. There may be times when I just use the rear screen, but I always want the option of a viewfinder. The only camera I own without one is my iPhone. I probably would have considered the RX1 over my X100S if it had a built in EVF like the NEX7 (I know there is the detachable EVF available, but the camera + EVF pricepoint and aesthetics put me off the camera).

Daido Moriyama was shooting without viewfinder (sometimes) when there was no LCD.

[video=youtube;JKbFAPq75UI]

I think it facilitate a more fluid, get-in-and-get-out style of shooting. While a viewfinder encourage a more deliberate style.

Well we've certainly not reached a quorum. ;)....different strokes for different folks.

However this is why I picked on the GR1 in particular - though this was common in most decent compacts of it's time - the VF was small and squinty, but it was there and so was an option. It didn't take up the room demanded by an after- thought/market VF, which does detract from the form factor IMHO. Like Daido (except in talent and capability) I'd often free-shoot with the wide 28mm, but then also referenced the VF to get my bearings or offer a little more stability (I think the triangle created by keeping the VF against your eye gives you a stop or two advantage) - please note in other footage it is clear that Mr Moriyama also used the VF.

So again it's about the option offered by something so small and unobtrusive. I realise our modern compacts have so much more by the way of innards than their film ancestors, but it's so tiny a space....and I, for one, would prefer to clip a flash in the hot shoe than a VF...so there's some space right there for it. ;)

Having said all that I'm certainly of the long-sighted tribe, thanks Porchard and Paul for reminding me of the tyranny of age :doh: Actually as the years progress I am getting more like Paul and my long-sightedness is reaching a pathetic and annoying level I am disabled entirely without my glasses and my arm's don't seem long enough to stretch out a hand-held item to the required focal length any more.

Back