Sony Sony RX100M2 MSRP is $750.

One year after the release of RX series, there is no real competition against these cameras and they are still selling well. In comparison, Sony nex series are heavily discounted against other mirrorless competition and Sony held the release of RX10 esp now we have GR, Nikon A and X100/X100s as the apsc fixed lens cameras. So currently there is no incentive for Sony to reduce prices on RX cameras.

One year after the release of RX series, there is no real competition against these cameras and they are still selling well. In comparison, Sony nex series are heavily discounted against other mirrorless competition and Sony held the release of RX10 esp now we have GR, Nikon A and X100/X100s as the apsc fixed lens cameras. So currently there is no incentive for Sony to reduce prices on RX cameras.

so no 50mm fixed camera from anyone?

One stop better plus the same EVF which fits the RX1. And if it takes the same batteries as the RX100 does, it can share batteries and EVF with the RX1. Which will make it an excellent companion to the RX1.

Well, look at it this way: Sony is experimenting to see how far they can push us. The RX100 is selling very well at $650. So they try $750 on the same camera with a slightly improved sensor and no AA filter. Many of us (including myself) will say it's too much money for that class of camera. I bought an RX100 earlier this year but took it back the next day. It was almost $800 with extra battery, external battery charger and case. But for everyone like me, there are probably 10 or even 100 people who happily purchase the RX100. On the other hand, many cameras that should do extremely well at their price point don't move all that rapidly and are therefore discounted. Some of Sony's NEX's and DSLR-class SLT cameras come to mind. The market speaks and Sony learns fast.

As much as I'd prefer to pay less (for everything) I don't think the Sony price is out of whack. My thought process goes to how Sony is delivering something new and unique to the market. I'm OK with innovators getting a premium, at least until the market catches up. If they don't get that premium the motivation to innovate often diminishes. I'd rather pay full ticket for the RX100 than the bargain price for a camera like the EOS M from Canon. Sony has earned it, imo.

I think the bigger point of comparison for the RX100 is something like the LX7, which is almost always on sale for $300. If your compact camera is not your primary, or even your secondary camera can you justify spending an extra $450 for the new RX100 vs the LX7? I probably couldn't. But I use the RX100 a lot. It has displaced the "need" for an m4/3s or NEX kit for me. So even compared to the low end of those systems $750 will actually save me money. :)

You can pick a used/returned RX100 for $500+. I don't know how good techradar measurements are but it shows the dynamic range dives down with the new RX100 II at low iso:

Raw signal to noise ratio
Sony_RX100_TIFF_SNR-580-100.JPG

Raw Dynamic Range
Sony_RX100_TIFF_DR-580-100.JPG

It is similar to Canon sensors eg very good at high iso but the dynamic range becomes flatter at low ISO's vs Sony sensors peak at low ISO dynamic range.

Nice to see that there is a real improvement.

But the $750 price tag is steep.

Ricoh GR is $799. Other than the OMD, GH3 and the upcoming EP5, all m4/3 cameras are cheaper than $750. Some DSLR's are also cheaper.

I hope Sony lowers the price to $599 and then drop the original RX100 altogether.

But that's always been the case. Best Buy sells the NEX 3N for $450 side by side with the RX100 at $650. Yet the RX100 still sells like hotcakes. It's the same reason people buy an OMD for more than a Canon t4i. It's all about size.

I don't think $750 is too steep. It's only $100 more than the RX100. That $100 buys a better sensor, a tilt LCD, a hotshoe, a click ring, 1080p 24fps video and probably a bunch of other things I can't think of. The difference between the NEX 3 and NEX 5 was about $100. Functionally, that only bought 1080 versus 720 video. Yet people were more than willing to pay the $100 more. Yes the case was also made out of metal instead of plastic but honestly I couldn't tell the difference.

I was looking at the Imaging Resource website comparing old with new.
At ISO 6400 the new camera is a winner showing far more detail but back down to ISO100 then the old sensor looks better to me.

Back