9185260289_4f2e05fc90_c.jpg

DP1M0040 by ricopress, on Flickr

9185273095_2d418c77db_c.jpg

DP1M0042 by ricopress, on Flickr

9185285021_80a2264b27_c.jpg

DP1M0045 by ricopress, on Flickr

9189274718_61aa735ed5_c.jpg

DP1M0053 by ricopress, on Flickr

Click on the images for full-size views, EXIFs and additional information.

Great set of images especially the wheat fields, great stuff. So how are you liking your DP1m so far? I'm taking mine on holiday next week as my only camera. Having the DP2m also I now have a total of 6 batteries so I should not run out while traipsing round the island!! I'm not sure wether to just go for Jpg images to save space or get another card and shoot RAW?

I find the camera easy to use, it's simple and straightforward. I also can't complain about the AF. It's not fast, but it is very accurate (hence the slowness, I guess). JPEGs are out of the question, as there is no built-in RAW converter to reprocess the images with different parameters. I use them as a reference to sort my images and find the "keepers", then I process everything in Sigma Photo Pro, which is very slow but also full of useful features. The results are very pleasing and certainly trump everything with a conventional sensor below full-frame.

I think they beat full frame for detail!!(except the NikonD800E)

I'm going on me hols for 2 weeks and I really don't know wether to shoot RAW or just go with JPG and save space?

Yes, one would probably have to use a medium format CCD camera or a D800E with a very good 28mm lens to get comparable results, but such a combo would be several times heavier and several times as expensive as a DP1M. Of course we all know that medium format systems and professional FF DLSRs offer other benefits that may well justify their price and weight, but if you are looking for an affordable, compact camera with ultra-high-end IQ to shoot outdoors in decent light, the Sigma DPM series is it. I got mine for 599 EUR (incl. VAT) at a brands4friends sale. At that price, the camera is almost impossible to resist if you are looking for maximum IQ. Zeiss would probably charge more for a 19mm APS-C lens w/o the camera.

Of course, the battery life is bizarrely short in this camera (but you know that in advance, because it's clearly noted in every single review, and the camera ships with 2 batteries, anyway), so you need to get a few more backup batteries and maybe a second charger in order to comfortably shoot for an entire day. You also need a large and fast memory card (32 GB or more) to store the huge RAW files the camera produces. I also bought the lens hood and a 49-52mm step-up ring to fit my 52mm Fuji ND filters. Luckily, those accessories are quite affordable, so you don't have to buy third-party knock-offs.

Hm, but what's the point in using a Sigma DP if you don't need/want its full resolution? In this case, I'd prefer a normal camera like one of my Fuji X cameras. It's faster overall, and it will deliver plenty of resolution and detail.

Hm, but what's the point in using a Sigma DP if you don't need/want its full resolution? In this case, I'd prefer a normal camera like one of my Fuji X cameras. It's faster overall, and it will deliver plenty of resolution and detail.

Ghost hunter was going to use Jpg to save on space. No large raw.. If u are going to do that, I feel the mid size raw shows more detail then the fine Jpg does from the sigma cameras and is worth considering. Of course 5-9mb fine Jpg vs 22mb mid size raw vs 40plus large raw are the options. I would not go to small size raw. The issue w/ mid size raws is that there are some artifacts introduced but u may not c it unless u are printing big enough. From what I have seen a good mid size raw conversion has more detail then the normal Jpg from the sigma. If we were talking about the Fuji Jpg engine, I would never hesitate to use their Jpg.

But yes large raw is going to show the most detail, but I feel the foveon brings to the table more then just great detail.. Both the colors and monochrom from these cameras are some of the best I have seen.

Gary

I don't really get the size consideration, I simply bought a card that's large enough. Plus, I am only keeping the pics I really think are worth it. I only use this camera when I really want ultimate IQ. But I feel it could become addictive, so I may well end up with all three models and treat them as three good prime lenses with attached sensors. It's funny that the 3 Sigmas don't cost more than the 3 basic Fuji primes plus an X-M1.

I don't really get the size consideration, I simply bought a card that's large enough. Plus, I am only keeping the pics I really think are worth it. I only use this camera when I really want ultimate IQ. But I feel it could become addictive, so I may well end up with all three models and treat them as three good prime lenses with attached sensors. It's funny that the 3 Sigmas don't cost more than the 3 basic Fuji primes plus an X-M1.

I have about 96gb in sd cards.. But I tend to decide based on type of pic if I am going to shoot medium or large. If the dp is my only camera w/ me and the shot is scale focus or a snapshot, I tend to use medium raw.. Any serious shots are always large raw files. I never throw away shots because I have found that my taste change over time or I may come back later and look at the shots w/ different perspective or framing considerations. I also do some stitching for Pano or wide lens emulation, which tends to eat up a lot of sd card space.

If the sigma works for your style of shooting, they quickly can become addictive. I know people who either have all three of the dp's or are actively discussing the possibility.

I have the dpz1m and 2m myself. I almost bought the dp3m, but the more I thought about it, for me macros should be longer.. Which got me thinking about a sd1m instead.

Now a days if I want high iso color, I automatically reach for the Fuji. But I love the monochrom off the foveon sensor and they look good to me up to iso 1600. Ok at 3200, so a lot of time I end up grabbing my dp2m as my default camera. From what I have seen, the b&w images from this camera is so good hat it gives the Leica monochrom a run for its money.

Gary

Exactly. I was of course playing and practicing with RAW files from the net in Sigma Photo Pro before I got the camera, and I quickly discovered that I'd also get a compact Leica Monochrome with wonderful organic grain at higher ISOs. It's even better than the Monochrome due to its ability to digitally mix and weigh colors during the conversion.

Having read about all the negative points in reviews and forums, I was very pleasantly surprised about the camera and its performance. I expected it to be more difficult. In reality, it is very simple and straightforward. No complex functions like DR expansion, exposure measurement appears to be reliable and steady (and not changing much or at all between multiple shots of the same subject), focus is super-precise, and results are stunning if you know how to use Sigma Photo Pro and its adaptive tone-mapping (pseudo-HDR like) function. Only the speed of the software is a problem, but with growing experience, you have to do less trial and error processing, and that speeds up things a lot.

For color work, I do not expect to ever go beyond ISO 400, most of the shots will be ISO 100, that's for sure. I am basically treating it like I would a CCD sensor camera. The Sigma certainly offers very good value for money.

I have decided to just get a new card and shoot RAW! As said, what's the point using this camera if you're not going to shoot RAW.

Roll on me hols YAY!!

Exactly. I was of course playing and practicing with RAW files from the net in Sigma Photo Pro before I got the camera, and I quickly discovered that I'd also get a compact Leica Monochrome with wonderful organic grain at higher ISOs. It's even better than the Monochrome due to its ability to digitally mix and weigh colors during the conversion.

Yep.. Once u c your first tiff converted from large raw.. It is jaw drop time. Spp grows on u. There is a lot of power there.. Takes a while to truly appreciate all that it an do. I actually shoot more monochrom then color w/ these cameras. The b&w images just draw me in...

Gary

Yep.. Once u c your first tiff converted from large raw.. It is jaw drop time. Spp grows on u. There is a lot of power there.. Takes a while to truly appreciate all that it an do. I actually shoot more monochrom then color w/ these cameras. The b&w images just draw me in...

Gary

Do you shoot in the monochrome setting or convert to mono after? I do want to try the high ISO mono settings next week.

Back