1980s Shopping Malls in the US

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by staticantics, Nov 13, 2013.

1. staticantics

staticantics SC Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    Central California
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    As do I have those memories! The malls don't look much different today, although today you can avoid them almost totally whereas that was kind of harder in the '80's before online shopping and before a lot of local shopping areas had been revitalized. But the fashions and hairstyles sure look different, as do the shapes of the people - amazing how stark the weight problem has gotten in this country in 30 years! And you wouldn't see a women sitting and having a smoke out in a public part if the mall today.

Man, it's seeing stuff like this and similar from other eras that keeps me doing street photography. Quality aside, it creates a pretty interesting time capsule of what our world looks and feels like today that'll probably be a real trip to go back and look at 30 years from now...

3. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I can remember one of my first visits to the US many years ago. In those days we didn't have "The Mall" in England, we didn't even know how to say it, and it was quite a novelty. Now we have too many and they say it's killed the High Street shops.
  4. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Oh man, no kidding. Everyone was in such better shape!
  5. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    That's 'cuz everybody had to walk for miles in the malls to shop, now we sit on our arses and mouse around Amazon.*

* Going thru the affiliates link from Serious Compacts, of course!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    They've killed off main street stores over here. You don't see people on the street anymore, instead everyone is in a shopping centre somewhere. Every suburb has one it seems, even if its just a small one.

I've posted this photo before, it was taken around 11am midweek, on Hunter Street, which is the main street of Newcastle...
    The Dead Heart of Newcastle by kyte50, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 2