Sony How do you focus and expose on the RX1

reemas

I picked up a Sony RX1 and have been playing with the C button, AEL button and some of the options to figure out the best way to focus and expose.

With my Canon gear I used to press my right thumb on a button to focus at the center point and I'd half press the shutter to lock exposure. I did this because I was under the impression that the CENTER focal point was always the fastest and sharpest on the 40D camera and 20-70mm L lens I had.

For the RX1, is the center focal point the best point to use? I'd love to hear some examples of how you focus and expose with this camera.

Welcome to SC. I don't have a RX1, but I use other Sony nex / RX100 cameras. Mirrorless cameras have contrast based auotofocus system, so you don't need to use the center point as only option. You have the find the contrasty areas to focus easier/faster. I used to shift the focus point with nex-5n which has a touch screen. Now I use the center point af with nex-6 (no touch screen) and shift the camera like the way I used my 5D/40D as you post it above.

Welcome to SC. I don't have a RX1, but I use other Sony nex / RX100 cameras. Mirrorless cameras have contrast based auotofocus system, so you don't need to use the center point as only option. You have the find the contrasty areas to focus easier/faster. I used to shift the focus point with nex-5n which has a touch screen. Now I use the center point af with nex-6 (no touch screen) and shift the camera like the way I used my 5D/40D as you post it above.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the type of auto-focus system had an impact on the focal point used. Good to know! Would love to hear more about how others have setup their buttons to help them expose and focus.

Back