1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

19th century Oregon Cemetery

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by MiguelATF, Sep 7, 2014.

1. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Talent, Oregon (far from the madding crowd)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    The other day I spent some time in an old 19th century cemetery, in a neighboring southern Oregon town - Ashland. It's a tranquil, shady place, with trees and shadows providing a bulwark against the heat of a late summer sun. And many of the gravestones seemed to be almost calling out to me. Including this one - celebrating a life that began in 1852 -

14974918917_425bc27806_c.
    1852-1888
    by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

The novelist George Eliot writes: "...but the realm of silence is large enough beyond the grave...."

It's a silent place, on an afternoon in 2014. A time to think .... or, like this grave motto - to be "hopefully waiting"...

15161138012_edcf5cbf07_c.
    Hopefully Waiting the Resurrection

Everywhere you turn, a great sense of light bisecting the shadow -

15158582841_fde03bc91a_c.
    In the shadow of his wings

And then the very human sense of loss, some more painful probably than others - losing a newborn after only a few days -

15161204792_8870c4d447_c.
    Aged 3 Days

This next one - "Gone So Soon" - made me think of something Douglas Adams (he of "Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy" fame) once wrote - “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”

14974948010_5b18f2d0b5_c.
    Gone So Soon

And then my favorite, a quotation at the bottom of a larger funerary pillar, which one had to squint to read, because of the light and shadow -

15161640245_3344e885c0_c.
    I am the vine, you are the branches

It wasn't all 19th Century, quite a few went into the 20th - including this one -

15158709651_4d0e23b37f_c.
    I shall be satisfied

Being a writer, I was particularly struck by the nature of the formal, biblical-inspired language - "they were always abounding" is not a phrase one hears in casual conversation -

15161332762_64409f7fa6_c.
    They were always abounding

Finally the last image is my other favorite - also the grave of a newborn - but with what must be a faithful dog sitting atop, though the sculptor seems to have been inspired by seal physiology, but there weren't many seals in landlocked 19th century southern Oregon.

15161374872_84b92c9556_c.
    Baby Inman

All the photos were taken with my Sigma 30mm (A)rt lens, on a GX1 body; most at the widest (f/2.8) aperture.

• Like Like x 14
  2. pictogramax

pictogramax SC Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Lovely light, playing well on shapes and textures. I love your processing and atmosphere it brought.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Very nice theme / series Miguel. And your B&W processing is really effective for these...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Thank you, Milan.

The processing btw was relatively simple. I shot in RAW, used Lightroom (I'm still back in the 'dark ages', using LR 4.4), and then used a Lightroom plug-in from X-Equals/Xel, who produce an interesting series of LR profiles that attempt to replicate many of the tonal characteristics of different negative and/or slide films. These images were all processed using a Fuji Acros preset; the slight toning and borders were courtesy of Silver Efex Pro. Those are the 'technical' details - but it really boils down to the atmosphere .... so I appreciate your comment.

Thanks, Ray. I think I'm obsessed with processing so your words are helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  5. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MiguelATF

MiguelATF SC Top Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
  7. It's always fascinating to think of those who went before us.

8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The design of the carving on "Hopefully Waiting ..." is quite remarkable

• Like Like x 1