200mm lenses for NEX 3

Discussion in 'Sony E-Mount (incl. NEX, A7, A7R, A3000) Forum' started by stevenrdowns, Jun 6, 2011.

1. stevenrdowns

stevenrdowns New to SC

Jun 3, 2011
    Hello, this is my first post, so apologies for my camera novice-ness!

I bought an Nex 3, six months ago...and am really liking it. I definitely made the wrong choice in that I have no IR...but overall, I'm really happy with the system...apart from the £600GBP required to buy the SEL18200.

So...I bought this -> TAMRON | AF 55-200mm F/4-5.6 Di II LD MACRO (Model A15) off Ebay for around £60...and hooked it up with a £25 EOS-NEX mount adapter.

I haven't seen much discussion about 200mm (or larger) lenses for NEX systems, so am just wondering if anyone else has much experience or recommendations.

Ultimately, i'd love to have autofocus...but i think this highly unlikekly unless I fork out £150 for the LA-EA1 mount adapter...so just curious to see if anyone else has done anything similar.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. my experience

I have a 70-150mm Milolta/Vivitar that I sometimes couple with a 2X multiplier and am getting great shots.

Lenses this long and longer take a bit of practice, especially when shooting in manual mode as the mistakes are multiplied. I have screwed up a few shot by not being patient, which can be tough when in the moment.

The biggest thing is to get a comfortable holding stance that will keep down the movement as you are taking pics. A tripod will be of great help, but not always usable.

Get out there and enjoy your lens. I think you will find the NEX a great platform and the longer zooms a nice option.
  3. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    I've got a Vivitar 28-210mm for my NEX-5. I'm still getting to grips with it, it's much happier on a tripod or worktop or something. I use an adapter ring so I can fit FD to NEX Emount. It hasn't been out to play much yet as I haven't really had the time, I think I need to take it out for the day, tripods, rucksacks, flask of tea, that sort of thing. Treat it to an ice-cream.
  4. Deetle

Deetle New to SC

Jun 15, 2011
    Got a new 75-300 f-4.0-5.6 tamron for my Nex-3 only have the cheap adaptor no af. can't seem to get good focus on anything. seems that you lose 3f-stops with the adaptor so I have been told. Next I will try going Macro to see if I can achieve crisp focus. bought a used tamron 70-210 f-1.4 3.5 it seems to really do well but still some focus issues not quite as bad as the first lens but the sony 18-55 kicks their butts even in MF. Any suggestions will be greatly appreicated thx.