Sony Alternative viewfinder for RX1 and focusing method

Patrick Smith

After giving it a bit of thought (did not want to buy the overpriced Zeiss, and not convinced by the EVF), and searching the web, I finally settled for the Samsung EA-OVF1 optical viewfinder, which I found on ebay for 79€.

It's meant for four-thirds cameras, so it is a bit too generous on the top and bottom sides, but I got the hang of it the second day. As for shooting (I use it for street photography), this is my method: I focus/reframe, or lock focus, (in center-focus mode), whilst looking the viewfinder, and imagining where the center focus point is. My working distance is 1.5 to 5 metres, at f:8, I haven't missed a shot because of bad focusing.

My two cents…

Patrick

How is it on the left and right side? I imagine a 24mm VF would also be generous on the sides for a 35mm lens, but perhaps the RX1 sensor's 3:2 ratio fits a 4:3 24mm OVF's lines. Thanks for sharing the technique.

A 24mm for micro four-thirds is equivalent to a 35 mm field of view. The RX1 format is more elongated than the Samsung, hence the -slight- difference on top and bottom sides.

If they ever come up with a real rangefinder sort of viewfinder...you know...glass, with a frame (with extra space around it) and a floating AF square or a split-block screen....I'd be all over that.

If they ever come up with a real rangefinder sort of viewfinder...you know...glass, with a frame (with extra space around it) and a floating AF square or a split-block screen....I'd be all over that.

Agreed! That said though, for people with pockets much deeper than mine, the new Leica M does provide exactly that. Until I win the lottery (or Leica drops the price) my RX1 is more than good enough.

Correction: If Steve Huff is to be believed (and I do), with a comparable lens the RX1 actually has better IQ, better colour and smoother bokeh vs the Leica M. Aside from the viewfinder issue, that's kind of amazing considering the price difference. Makes me feel like I got a bargain at only 3K.

Agreed! That said though, for people with pockets much deeper than mine, the new Leica M does provide exactly that. Until I win the lottery (or Leica drops the price) my RX1 is more than good enough.

Correction: If Steve Huff is to be believed (and I do), with a comparable lens the RX1 actually has better IQ, better colour and smoother bokeh vs the Leica M. Aside from the viewfinder issue, that's kind of amazing considering the price difference. Makes me feel like I got a bargain at only 3K.

Well...from what I see...that's true. I've looked at TONS of samples and things, pored over reviews of the new M, and came to the same conclusion.

Back