Best Pocket Camera for Monster-Mania

Biro

Hall of Famer
Name
Steve
Monster Mania comes to suburban Philadelphia this month. I haven't attended one of these in a very long time but I think I may go this time with a few friends from work.

Monster-Mania Con Horror convention/ Semi-annual Philadelphia horror film and memorabilia convention

Now, I have a number of smallish cameras as you can see below. The most-obvious camera candidates for the event would be the LX7 (with it's f/1.4 wide-angle) and Pentax Q (with its f/1.9 normal prime). Right now, I figure I'll take one or the other. But, just for jollies, outside of expensive options like the Sony RX100 or the Ricoh GR, does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive, pocketable camera that will do okay in the dicey indoor lighting conditions I'll likely encounter? I would expect to have to do some post production with the output of such a camera.

That looks fun!

What budget have you got in mind?

Looking at the kits you've got I'd go with the e-pm2 and the zuiko 17mm f1.8. If that's not pocketable enough I'd take the clunky 20mm.

Thanks, Karen. These events can get crowded so I was thinking about something that can fit in a shirt pocket in the $300-$400 range. But maybe I should just take the E-PM2 and deal with it. Still, if anyone has a lot of experience with this class of camera and knows which do better in lower light (better being a relative term with these small sensors), I'd like to hear from them.

I'd take the LX7..... or I wouldn't limit myself to pocketable. EVERYONE there is going to have cameras.....embrace it...bring your best and get some KILLER shots. Go strong or go home.

I believe that monsters are best photographed with a Graflex camera with a magnesium powder flash. And don't forget to stick your press badge in your fedora!

Dare I say a Nikon V1 & 10mm for $320 (Digitalrev). You'll get better high ISO than a pocket camera (Barring the RX100's), good battery life. Should fit in a big pocket with the 10mm lens.

Really, use the money to buy a fast normal and a pair of cargo pants with big pockets and take the E-PM2. It's hard to beat that sensor in a variable lighting situation. Just disguise as a tricorder or something.:jedi: Or, raise your limit to $800 and get a GR.

I think I'm going to have to give up on the truly pocketable idea (at least until I can afford an RX100 or a GR). It looks like it'll be the E-PM2 and the 17mm f/1.8... unless I follow Luke's advice and go whole-hog with my Pentax DSLR kit. I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 for that.

Hmm. Tricky. I am taking my Canon SX280 (for the low light ability and massive optical zoom) to the next Comic Con. I'm really struck by the zoom, it's a lot of fun in crowded situations because you can capture ridiculous expressions on peoples (or monsters) faces without having to elbow past everyone. I realise you're looking for spectacular quality, but if it were me I'd be stupid worried about something like a RX100m2.

Back