20th Serious Compacts Salon Challenge - the Square Format WINNER ANNOUNCED

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
Welcome to the 20th serious compacts salon challenge..... your theme for the challenge is the square format. All entries shall have sides of equal length. Many digital cameras allow you to shoot with a 1:1 aspect ratio......try it out. Learn to "see" and use a square frame for new compositions. Or find an old shot that you loved, but wasn't quite right in a rectangle....try to give it a square crop. So you have two weeks to wow me with your square shots. Give me your best.

The salon starts today October 30 and shall run for 2 weeks, ending on Nov 13th

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rules are simple................

1. Either take a picture that matches the nominated theme or select one from your portfolio. You must be the photographer that created the picture in order to enter it.

2. There are several ways to add your photos to the current salon thread: 1. upload your entry to your SC user gallery (all entries must be present in an SC gallery), which you automatically get if you are registered on the SC forum, so if you aren`t registered you will need to if you would like to join the fun. (Don't know about the "gallery" yet? Then read this: SC Gallery FAQ please read it carefully if you are new to using the site's software.) 2. embed from Flickr or another similar web hosting photo site and 3. use the attachment method. All three are explained here:How to post images in forum threads

3. Only one entry per salon, please. If you want to withdraw an entry and replace it with another, that is OK, but you must make it clear in the post containing your replacement picture that this is what you've done. You can add or change the title and add to the edit line to let everyone know.

4. The decision of the curator at the end of the challenge is final - don't give him/her a hard time about it: this is just a friendly photo challenge, after all!

5. The person who submitted the chosen picture will assume the responsibility of curator for the next Salon Challenge and as soon as possible post a message in a new thread in the SC Photo Challenges forum, with details of the new theme. Don't forget - that opening message must include a copy of these instructions, which also double as the rules.

6. The curator can't enter his or her own salon.

7. Please, don´t be shy...Participate and have fun!

8. Each salon should be open for about two weeks.

10079458395_52cb6987b3_c.jpg

Electric power meter (via a mutliple-aspect-ratio square sensor!)

One of the things my little Lumix LX7 is equipped with - which, honestly, I've never completely understood - is what Panasonic calls a 'multiple aspect sensor' in which, somehow, when you select different aspect ratios (via a convenient switch on the lens barrel), then it resizes (or effectively crops) part of your sensor - rather than cropping part of your rectangular digital negative (or jpeg) which I believe is the technique Olympus uses to achieve a similar (square) effect. If anyone has a better and simpler explanation of this, btw, I'd seriously love to hear it. But back to the picture -

I took it yesterday with my LX7 walking around downtown. The b&w processing was done via Silver Efex. And the result is....

10599455653_60754e8121_c.jpg

Electric power meter by La Chachalaca Fotografía, on Flickr

A square view of a round meter! Or perhaps the photographic equivalent of putting a round peg in a square hole?

I love Dave Barry's quote, by the way, about what that mysterious force we call electricity really is: “Electricity is actually made up of extremely tiny particles called electrons, that you cannot see with the naked eye unless you have been drinking.”

And, yes, Luke, this is an 800 x 800 sizing for your screen.

I can only give 640x640. Hipstamatic which I love for its 1:1 format. I tried using my XZ in its 1:1 but it just didnt feel right, and besides, it seems it did sustain damage to the internals which is getting worse every time I use it. I think it will have to be trashed. Other than that, theres the Ricoh... but for some reason, the Hipstamatic always appeals. I really really like it.

10603830176_e46a548307_z.jpg

Hipsta Tom by kyte50, on Flickr

Sitting on the Steps

img883.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I forget whether the rules require that the photo be taken with a compact camera. If that is the case, then ignore this one, as the Hasselblad is compact only as compared to a car.

P.S. Luke, the photo is exactly 768 x 768 for your viewing convenience. :)

Cheers,

Antonio

Back