Who Shot the Photographer?

serhan

Hall of Famer
Interesting image from ImageBrief website, which is reported on phoblographer:

Imagebrief-Infographic.png

I guess the message is that if you want to make a living from your photography, you either get people to hire you specifically for a certain job, or you sell specific works as art for a considerably higher price than stock photography. Both of which revolve around not only being a good photographer, but also getting your name out there and also being good enough at the marketing / business side of it to stand out from the crowd of other very capable photographers. Or be really, really, really good at stock photography...

I think in days gone by, a lazy photographer could get by if he/she was very good. Or an industrious hustler could get by with adequate lens skills. I have neither the drive nor the skill to get paid for photography...today one needs both those skills.

A friend was interviewed at a local festival for the Chicago Sun Times and afterwards a guy with a cel phone took his picture plus others for publication. Moving your photos is more work than work these days.

I know people who make WAY more than $4000 a year selling stock photos. But they take lots & lots of very boring pictures. I wouldn't want to make a living in such a nauseating manner.

I "broke into" photography 2 year ago. It is way more democratic than in days gone by and, for sure, digitization has had an impact. Everyone is a photographer now. I sell some of my work on line or through a local gallery. Not enough to make a living and not so many that it has become work. Just how I like it. I take photographs each and every day.....I love it. Would hate to be on the wheel breaking my back for it.

I know people who make WAY more than $4000 a year selling stock photos. But they take lots & lots of very boring pictures. I wouldn't want to make a living in such a nauseating manner.
Totally agree; a good portion of stock photography is about pleasing as many people as possible and not offending anyone; that takes all the personal expression out of photography (I'm sure there's more edgy or personal stock photography as well, but that probably won't be as big an earner).

Back