I think I know how Yahoo passed Google in website traffic...

...my Flickr account. Seriously, ever since the redesign my account stats have shot up to 4 times their previous daily values, and often higher. If everyone else is seeing the same boost, that's some serious traffic going on.

Anyone else seeing this?

yes, but it's empty traffic. Not more comments or anything. My guess is that every time a page loads with 100 images on it, those are counted as "views" whether anyone really clicks on them or not. I don't think that suddenly I'm having 4 times as many people actually clicking on the thumbnails to see them large. If they are, they're wasting their time. :D

There are two long running (and spectacularly ill-tempered at times) threads in the Flickr "help" forums - I use the quote marks advisedly - about Flickr stats:

Flickr: The Help Forum: [Acknowledged-Work in Progress] Stats issue

and

Flickr: The Help Forum: Has the way views are measured changed? Suddenly getting 30 or 40 times more views

If you drill down a bit, you may find (as I have) that it is merely enough for your image to appear in the stream of results from a search. Even if your image appears at a point in the stream to which the searcher has not scrolled & therefore seen (let alone clicked through to), that seems to count as a "view".

Interestingly, all my images on Flickr are now private - I will see Yahoo in hell before I let them monetise my photos - but I still get about a dozen hits a day from friends and family.

Sent from another Galaxy

I've had 2 or 3 shot up on flicker for ever, and just can't bring myself to get more active. Thinking about just deleting and dropping the account altogether. Here, is just about the only place I post anything.

Steve, you can just keep it as a storage locker. You can set all your photos to be private. You can store as many as you like there for free, and you can still share them here, using the BB code. Just a thought.

Yes, it's up. But there are the different stats for "photostream" and "photos and video views". I've been up a bit since before the change and the change did not boost my levels as much as they did you, John, but I'd say higher than before.

I think the new layout is causing people to see shots I posted previously and click on them though. It used to be, after a shot moved off the first "page" on flickr it seldom advanced a lot after that but now the individual photos are counting up.

I don't get a lot of comments because I don't give a lot, lol. For me, flickr is primarily a place to showcase, not a social media site.

I just crossed 500,000 photo and video views (about 50,000 more total) and probably going to post about that in a bit.

I have another question: does anybody periodically have "zero" days on the stats? When you click the dot, the stats are there for that day, but not added up for some reason. Strange.

stats.jpg

If you look at the help forum links I posted you'll find Flickr have acknowledged the zero days as a fault. For whatever that's worth :what:

Back