Who's stitching digital files together?

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
By stitching you can get large files without the need of an expensive (large sensor) camera.
Just wonder who's using this technique, which software does the work.
Do look forward to your replies, thanks in advance.

I do this a lot. And you are right it does give large sensor results from smaller sensor cameras. I use Photomerge in Photoshop mostly, and the latest version in Photoshop CS5 is (almost) flawless. Great advantage with this is its quick and you can use the raw files for optimum quality. I also use PTGui occasionally.

Two things I make sure of, firstly make sure all images have the same exposure and focus point, and secondly have a large overlap. I use 50%. This means more images but less stitching errors.

I have to do lots of trimming afterwards and use the distort and warp tools in Photoshop to straighten the images up. In terms of lenses I find 35mm to 75mm focal lengths give the best most natural results. Wide angles cause lots of distortion problems, and can sometimes be impossible to get right. Also the closer you get to something the more difficult it can be to get looking it "right", if thats what you want of course.

Stitching in pano format will give the benefit of an ultra wide lens or better. Blending bracketed shots will increase dynamic range to give HDR. I have a program called Photoacute Studio that will stitch 2 or 3 unbracketed photos to reduce noise and provide what they call Superesolution. Blending multiple shots with different but narrow DOF will produce an image with everything in focus. Finally astro photography blends multiple shots to increase brightness of very distant and also reduce noise.

So yes Herman there are many applications of this principle.

Let's try to revive this ancient thread!

This is not a panorama in a classic sense.. Rather, it's a vertical pano of three shots (landscape orientation)!
_DSC1317-Pano.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A ''normal'' stitched panorama..
R0023199-Edit.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Both panoramas were stitched in Lightroom!

Last edited:
Back