Modern language

I hate the way it sounds. But I just did a little research into it and I kind of like its origins....... ""The first citation in print is C. Wielgus and A. Wolff’s, ’Back-in-your-face Guide to Pick-up Basketball’, 1986: ’My bad, an expression of contrition uttered after making a bad pass or missing an opponent.’"

but taking "street" talk and bringing it into popular vernacular always sounds a little awkward. I say "leave it on the court".

As an expression of 'light' contrition, I personally think it is quite a handy expression. "My fault" seems a little harsh. "My bad" seems to work nicely when no real harm has been done, and the error in question can be easily passed off.

I agree. It's not quite good enough when you have run over someone's child or embezzled several million dollars . . .

Cheers, Jock

My Dad used to be a language formalist - he hated any bastardization of the English language, which means he SHOULD have been speaking the Queen's own English from the 1500s or so. But, of course, he didn't. So, probably in rebellion I have only one standard for new uses of the language - does it communicate? If I know what the person is trying to say (or, more importantly, if whoever they're speaking to does), I figure it's all good. Speaking of which, "all good" is another expression sort of like "my bad" - they both work well enough for me...

-Ray

It will become more widely used I'm sure, but not by me. New language will come along that aint too bad, and i may even use it ! Wouldn't that be wicked man . sum stuff will just be to rad for me to use. words that will be positively mingin. init like.
On the other hand and luckily for me, most of it is ez to spell :confused:

Back