Sony A7r gets top score for Image Quality at cameralabs.com

So what lens or lenses did they use in making this assessment? Last time I checked their aren't any FE lenses out there yet. I don't count a cropped sensor lens made for the APC format. You're not getting the full image the sensor can gather with the those lenses. They may fit and auto focus work but you're running the 8 cylinder engine on half the pistons.

I don't think using M lenses or DSL lenses count either for me. Tell me if I'm missing something here?

BTW, that RX1r looks a little pricey to me right now too.

I think the kit zoom and 35mm will be available with the cameras, the 55 will be within another month or so, and I think shortly after that for the Zeiss 12-70. I've seen reviews using both primes and the kit zoom, so I'm sure at least those are available for testing...

-Ray

Their sample shots were taken w/ Sony Zeiss FE 35mm, 55mm and Nikon 14-24mm. You can go and check the dpreview image comparison if you want to PP:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-7-7r/6

It's not been released in US. First release was in Asia a couple days ago w/ 35mm/28-70mm & 55mm follows in couple weeks... Zeiss 24-70mm will be next year. Again each country release is different, eg Canada will be getting one week earlier then US. US release date is showing as Dec 1.

Also 36MP apsc crop gives you 15.5MP w/o AA filter which should be close what you get from 16MP mirrorless cameras/Leica M9/ME... I have already Contax g and Canon ef af adapters and some old FF lenses to use on them like small contax g 35mm, 45mm and 90mm lenses. Here is impressions from a Leica user:

Flickr Search
Unscientific Impression: (based on jpg)
Color: Better than M240, Kinda between M9 and M240, still, M9's color inspire me more.
Resolution: Almost the best in SLR and mirrorless cameras
Focus: Thanks God! I finally know my Noctilux 0.95 can be so sharp, the dof is like a hair thin
Shutter sound: like a gun shot! But I don't mind.
Conclusion: I won't sell my M9, I won't buy M240 and I won't keep my Canons. I will keep my medium format and I will buy some more batteries for M9 and A7r. To me, just to me, it's a game changer for my leisure and travel time, but not for my works.

Back