Øbservations N°1

Thanks Sue!, appreciate it. In really into following this path with my photos other than posting 'singles' on flickr and stuff! It will keep me really busy I suppose

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

Cool stuff Chris, just finished checking it out in PDF form. Some of them were familiar from your previous posts but I always enjoy seeing your work :) Looking forward to the next edition!

Cool stuff Chris, just finished checking it out in PDF form. Some of them were familiar from your previous posts but I always enjoy seeing your work :) Looking forward to the next edition!

Thanks Jay for your words, and yes, you are absolutely right. You have seen some of those shots. But from issue number 2 onwards most should be new to you as i plan posting less and less on social media and using them to help those books which tell in a better way, my story.

Thanks Jay for your words, and yes, you are absolutely right. You have seen some of those shots. But from issue number 2 onwards most should be new to you as i plan posting less and less on social media and using them to help those books which tell in a better way, my story.

Hey, nothing wrong with seeing good stuff more than once! That's what I get for trawling through your website, blog, portfolio, and forum posts looking for more of your photos anyway :D

Chris, that reminds me - separate topic, but did you ever release a book of your Patagonia images? I know you'd mentioned it on mu-43 before but didn't know if that's happened yet. I still want a copy :)

Chris, that reminds me - separate topic, but did you ever release a book of your Patagonia images? I know you'd mentioned it on mu-43 before but didn't know if that's happened yet. I still want a copy :)

Hey Jay,

that patagonia book!! shit totally forgot. BUT, let me tell you, i did the book, and i do have a copy of it, the problem is that self-publishing through Blurb i think is so expensive, thats its almost not worth the effort unless you print for you only. But with Øbservations i found HP Mag cloud service, that it is way cheaper to produce, yet not cheaper in quality, and as im writing this, im going through the copies i got from this first issue, and now im more comfortable of printing with them at an "accessible" price. So maybe i should re work it out and put it through there to get it cheaper to you!.

but on top of everything, heck, thanks for even remembering that, and supporting my work, means a boatload! it really does.! :drinks:

I like the update with shots of the book, looks neat!

Chris, what's your feeling/thoughts on the full bleed photo printing? I have printed a few album books for myself and I usually leave a border. The full bleed looks like a little more of an immersive feel but I'm guessing it's sometimes tricky to take into account the fold?

I like the update with shots of the book, looks neat!

Chris, what's your feeling/thoughts on the full bleed photo printing? I have printed a few album books for myself and I usually leave a border. The full bleed looks like a little more of an immersive feel but I'm guessing it's sometimes tricky to take into account the fold?

Thanks Jay, that is actually an interesting questions and was one that i had to answer when doing this project. I usually leave a border as well. In fact when i did my wedding-patagonia book for me and my family most images dont bleed out, some do some dont. I dont have a right or wrong type of answer. But when i was sharing the first scamp of this project with other photographers i asked the same question to them, and one replied what to me is the 'answer' to my thoughts he said:

To bleed or not to bleed that is the question.....Something I'm wondering myself for my own stuff.....After looking at it here's what I think the translation is:
No bleed-> Artsy, Fine art, conservative photographer
Bleed -> More relaxed, Edgy Photographer
That's the energy I feel you get from looking at books that do bleed or no bleed. I think the bleed design fits your intentions better. But only you know.

That made me click. That was exactly how i felt. You know i have only a few photo heroes that i really admire and aspire, and they are also divided into bleed or not bleed images in their books.

Cartier Bresson - Not bleed, always a margin
Vivian Maier - Not Bleed, always a margin (although this is not her decision obviously but seems to fit her style)

Daido Moriyama - Bleed
Ganni Berengo Gardin - Bleed

Sebastiao Salgado - Bleed-Not bleed
Steve Mccurry - Bleed - not bleed

And for this project, because of my approach and i what i want to say, bleed was more the appropiate way to go. Also bleeding out is not just a decision, because of the format of the magazine it involves 'cropping' the images so a lot went into that decision. So yeah its definitely not an easy one Jay.

Now I'm glad I asked - insightful thinking on the full bleed print decision, and even more thought behind it than I expected.

Neat interview too. This bit jumped out at me:

The second reason is that for me, coming with an art and graphic background, it makes sense to me to have my work printed. I strongly believe in the mojo of ‘is not a photo until is printed’.

First, I have to say that having looked at your design portfolio/website in the past as well as your photography, the art background definitely shows through. I feel like your photography has not just great framing and timing, but also a clear vision and aesthetic. I guess the word for it is intent. I feel my own work is still in the learning phase of finding good compositions of what I see or want to capture, but not necessarily having that vision & purpose.

Secondly, and we've talked about this on mu-43 before, but I totally hear you on the printing. It stuck with me when you mentioned having printed out a bunch of your work for curating, and watching people stand there looking at the wall of photos for several minutes, compared to whacking a 'Like' button online.

I'm actually planning to do some gallery-wrap canvas prints soon, and I've got a couple backlogged albums of personal stuff to print as well. Every time I do make the effort, I end up amazed all over again at how much more impact photos seem to have when they're tangible prints instead of digital quick-share images.

On that note, I decided to order a print copy of Øbservations N°1 and check it out in print!

Look what arrived today! Really cool Chris, seeing the PDF doesn't do it justice like seeing it in full print. I think you've also converted me to full bleed image printing :D

ND4_0097-2.jpg

Back