Published in a second book about Bruce Munro

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
I was pleased to have my photography used in the first book about the "Artist in Light" Bruce Munro. The second, smaller book is out and I made the cut there with only 4 other photographers including his primary documentary photographer Mark Picthall.

Furthermore, although I had a full page photo in the first book, I have a two page spread in the smaller book. Thanks Bruce Munro and Sea Hill Press!

The books will also be on sale soon at Longwood Gardens which is where I photographed his art installation a couple of years ago.

10964488025_4ff5bf7ac5_z.jpg

Published in Second Bruce Munro Book by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

And this is the photo they used in the books:

7356049160_1f37d6a1ca_z.jpg

Still love that shot, it's perfect for the purpose of displaying his art with the atmosphere and feel. I always find it fascinating and somewhat humorous when photographing art of other kinds, especially sculpture. It's creating art, made of art, but seen through the eyes of another person and adding interplay of the day's light and the installation's surroundings into the mix.

Still love that shot, it's perfect for the purpose of displaying his art with the atmosphere and feel. I always find it fascinating and somewhat humorous when photographing art of other kinds, especially sculpture. It's creating art, made of art, but seen through the eyes of another person and adding interplay of the day's light and the installation's surroundings into the mix.

Ha ha! Exactly! I've thought about that myself and when I photograph art with my own interpretation I try to make sure the original artist is credited. But yes, it does add some layers of interpretation.

Sometimes, your own interpretation plays well with the artists concept like this shot I did of sculptor Dana Stewart's "Sue's Nightmare" which I retitled "Trust Me" from Grounds for Sculpture. I've taken several of this piece but this one is my favorite.

7622571086_c0b0f2591c_c.jpg

Grounds for Sculpture: Trust Me by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Ha ha! Exactly! I've thought about that myself and when I photograph art with my own interpretation I try to make sure the original artist is credited. But yes, it does add some layers of interpretation.

Sometimes, your own interpretation plays well with the artists concept like this shot I did of sculptor Dana Stewart's "Sue's Nightmare" which I retitled "Trust Me" from Grounds for Sculpture. I've taken several of this piece but this one is my favorite.

Congratulations, John! I'm not familiar with this artist but he looks wonderful!
(And this reminds me, I think I saw a billboard that indicates there's a Chihuly exhibit in my neck of the woods, I need to go look online and see if I read it right.)
This summer, I came across a tower that was a collaborative project of what can loosely be called stained glass, in Madison, WI, a few blocks from the capitol building. I must have taken 50 or 100 close ups, the shapes and colors were so intriguing. I've tucked them away because I feel sort of guilty about them, because they're my photos but the work itself isn't mine (although I recorded the attribution on the installation, and it was set up in a public place.) I appreciate this discussion. It hadn't occurred to me that my selections and presentations of the work constituted a contribution of my own.

Congratulations, John! I'm not familiar with this artist but he looks wonderful!
(And this reminds me, I think I saw a billboard that indicates there's a Chihuly exhibit in my neck of the woods, I need to go look online and see if I read it right.)
This summer, I came across a tower that was a collaborative project of what can loosely be called stained glass, in Madison, WI, a few blocks from the capitol building. I must have taken 50 or 100 close ups, the shapes and colors were so intriguing. I've tucked them away because I feel sort of guilty about them, because they're my photos but the work itself isn't mine (although I recorded the attribution on the installation, and it was set up in a public place.) I appreciate this discussion. It hadn't occurred to me that my selections and presentations of the work constituted a contribution of my own.

Thanks, Ruby!

You know, I didn't know about Bruce Munro either until Longwood started touting he was coming for an installation. I actually spent more time LOOKING at his stuff than photographing it as it can be very dramatic and unusual -- while still being "accessible" -- that is, you are looking at the very least at a pretty light display which anyone can appreciate. He literally has ACRES of installation there. Stunning.

You should put your photos up, with attribution, because who knows? You might get the email like I did asking about licensing your photos!

Back