Olympus Stylus 1 RAW (and my 2nd attempt at liking Olympus Viewer)

swandy

Regular
Decided to make another attempt to process some Stylus 1 RAW files using Olympus Viewer 3 (can't wait for Apple to update Aperture!!!!). Program is still slow and clunky in my eyes, but it does a nice job. Wanted to see if you could get more detail out of the RAW files - rather than OOC JPEGs. My grandson was sitting in some nice window light and took a bunch. These two were Aperture priority, f2.8 for both Shot RAW+JPEG. One "issue" of OV3 is it tries too hard to duplicate the OOC JPEG look - though I guess that is the whole point. Comparing the OOC JPEG to a JPEG exported from OV3 and the RAW file converted and then exported as JPEG from OV3 they are all very close. There looks like some slight (looking at 100%) increase of details in the RAW file. Please note - I did not change any of my standard in-camera settings (Noise Filter OFF, Gradation (NORMAL), Saturation/Contrast/Sharpness 0). Did not even apply any noise reduction afterwards. First shot was ISO 100, second is 800.

Overall, very happy with the camera. Upon inspecting some of the shots - even the low ISO ones - I agree that there is a bit of noise (again, I tend to turn off all noise reduction and prefer to apply it myself afterwards) when shots are viewed at 100% in the shadow areas. But considering that this is still considered a P&S small sensor camera I am very satisfied. Can't wait to get Aperture updated for the RAW files so I can do a more direct comparison with the XZ-1 and XZ-2 files that I have.

I always leave the Noise Filter to OFF - even when shooting JPEGs like I am now - because in general the smudging of the in camera Noise Filter is too much for my taste, too much detail lost. I would rather deal with the noise in post if I feel it is necessary. As I said, there is some noise/grain in the shadow areas, but like Biro said, very impressive for a small sensor camera.

I have just (today) bought the Stylus1 and have had a quick play late at night in very poor light and I'm loving it already!! It's pretty good even in poor light so looking forward to some test shots in good light as soon as I can.

Lightroom 5.3 can edit the RAW files so I'm off and running!

As said....YeeHaaa!

Back