Moving backwards, and forwards

Steve Noel

In Memorium
Having traded my E-p3 to my son for the old, lower level E-420, is going to push me, to work on my camera and PP skills. My first few images with it this week, left little doubt that I've been leaning pretty hard, on the abilities of the E-p3's JPEG, with some minor PP. So, until I become more "affluent", I am determine to find that balance of camera, technique, and PP, that I can live with, if not be especially proud of. And to me, that means, not hiding behind filters, or special effects. Other folks use them to great advantage, not to hide behind, but to a purpose, and that is great. It's not the "look", that I usually strive for. So, more study! Harder, as I get older. I like to lean on, what I already know!

This thread might be a good place, for others to explore the struggles and journey to photographic "perfection". :) Feel free to add your thoughts.

This small piece of red cloth, caught my eye this morning, as I was taking a walk, in the woods. The original image was really off, in color and some other things I can't describe. My efforts to correct it, are less than pleasing. Hence, more study needed. And this, after more than 50 years with a camera. Some folks are just slow! :redface:

Hmm, I like the image, especially of the red cloth and the leaves above and to the right. The blown highlight on the lower leaf distracts a little, I might be inclined to attempt mitigation of that. OTOH I'm a mad cropper. If something doesn't work for me as shot, I'll crop til it does.

First sprigs of green

These are only a couple inches tall, and would not be seen under the leaves. But the wild turkeys have scratched the leaves off today, and exposed them for my viewing pleasure! :)

These examples show the lack of critical "sharpness" of this lens, but still has a place in my cabinet and on the camera. These are for your helpful comments on how to better take and PP the difficult subject matter (smooth, new green sprouts).

The first is OOC JPEG from the E-420 and Olympus 25mm f2.8, at f8.0, with a Pentax +1 closeup filter, LV, AF, cropped and re-sized for posting. The original was shot at 1 stop under exposed to try to not clip highlights.

This one has had the exposure bumped, cropped, re-sized, contrast bumped 12, slight light adjust, and 50% edge sharpened.

Back