Lake Powell with the NX300

qhs232

Veteran
Name
Gary
These are a few photos taken with the NX300 and the 20-50mm during a trip to Lake Powell in November. When I use to live in Los Angeles my wife and I and a few friends would get there at least once a year, a little less frequently now as we are in Michigan. Its really a magical place, but you have to be out on the lake for a few days to really appreciate it.
Its a man made lake on the Colorado River straddling the border between Utah and Arizona (most of it, along with Rainbow Bridge, is in Utah). and is 186 miles long and has almost 2,000 miles of shoreline - longer than the entire west coast of the U.S.A.
LakePowell-_42-of-70_-Edit.jpg

LakePowell-_7-of-70_-Edit-Edit.jpg

untitled-_1-of-2_-Edit-Edit.jpg

LakePowell-_20-of-70_-Edit.jpg

LakePowell-_38-of-70_-Edit.jpg

LakePowell-_23-of-70_.jpg

LakePowell-_33-of-70_-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

LakePowell-_14-of-70_-Edit.jpg

LakePowell-_18-of-70_.jpg

Great series of shots. I grew up in AZ and used to spend a fair amount of time up around Lake Powell - my family used to rent a houseboat for a week at a time and explore all of the little side canyons. The place is an environmental nightmare (I read the Monkey Wrench Gang about 10 times in college and used to imagine what it would have been like if someone HAD blown up the Glen Canyon Dam), but it does give you pretty relaxed access to some incredibly gorgeous areas that would be a hell of a walk otherwise.

Haven't been back in a very VERY long time, but it's a place I'd like to get back to someday. In the meantime, these photos are a nice vicarious visit.

-Ray

Thanks Ray, I know what you mean about the environmental issues….:( This photo of Horseshoe Bend and the Colorado River (not the iconic viewpoint) which is north of the Grand Canyon, approx 5 miles downstream of the Glen Canyon Dam and Lake Powell.
The area has changed a lot since I first went there in 1977 and now even has a world class resort nearby Aman Resorts, Hotels & Residences – Explore Luxury Destinations.
I enjoy the trips and the surrounding part of the area, Bryce, Zion etc but now I can also get back to the greenery of Michigan!
LakePowell-_50-of-70_-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

The place near there that I'd REALLY like to get back to with a camera is the Havasupai Reservation with it's series of waterfalls and pools. I was there a couple of times in the early '70s in my 'tween years and was blown away by the beauty of the place even then (at an age when it took a LOT to impress my jaded young mind). It was incredibly unspoiled back then - I remember our group of campers playing soccer with the local kids. Now it looks like there are luxury camping tours that go down in there. So maybe better left a pristine memory.

I love where I live now too, but I miss the southwest - it was a great place to grow up...

-Ray

Great series.

My wife went to Havasupai about 10 years ago I think, and said the same things, Ray. But you're right, it sounds like they got "wise" and started developing some of it more and charging a lot to get there. Escalante is also incredible, if you've never been. Helluva hike to get in and out of some of those canyons, but worth it.

This is about a five minute walk from where we were staying (on land :))
LakePowell-_66-of-70_-Edit.jpg

Houseboat wake, with the sun reflecting off the nearby buttes.
LakePowell-_10-of-70_-Edit-Edit.jpg

Rocket Man: "She packed my bags last night, pre-flight - Zero hour, nine a.m - And I'm gonna be high as a kite by then- I miss the Earth so much, I miss my wife- It's lonely out in space..
On such a timeless flight- Rocket man, burning out his fuse up here alone" (sorry Elton)
LakePowell-_15-of-70_-Edit-Edit.jpg

Back