Canon G1X Mark II Rumor

rkbry

This link (photorumors.com) has some rumored specs for the G1X Mark II. Highlights include:
  • 5x zoom lens
  • "Real image" optical zoom viewfinder (???)
  • 20.2MP 1.5" sensor
  • Touchscreen
  • DIGIC 6

The article claims the camera will be announced at CP+ in February. I was thinking of getting a G1X, but I may hold off until / if this rumor pans out.

The lens will apparently be a 5x zoom lens, but with a 24-120 reach, making it much more interesting (to me at least) due to the wider starting point compared with the "old" G1X that starts at 28mm I believe. The lens would still be a 2.8 - 5.6 as far as aperture goes though, so quite a bit slower than for instance the Sony RX10 (at the long end at least) but sensor size could compensate for that I guess. Curious to see what the viewfinder would be, maybe something along the lines of the Fuji X20?

To be honest I wasn't even sure whether there would be a G1X replacement. The list of changes are plausible and if true would constitute a useful upgrade. The OVF in the existing G-series cameras could certainly do with being replaced by an EVF. I'm not expecting Olympus VF-4 here either; even a small, lowish resolution EVF unit would be an improvement.

Personally I'd take the same lens and sensor again in a smoother body with an EVF and improved Macro ability.
I hope that the rumour is true as I'm lookinjg at the Leica X Vario as a replacement but can't quite come to terms with that camera's size.
The image above with the RX10 is good to remind us of the magic that went into compressing the size of the G1X lens.

This is inching ever so close to my dream camera. Just need 2.8 at 120mm without RX10 heft. More magic please!

Personally I'd take the same lens and sensor again in a smoother body with an EVF and improved Macro ability.
I hope that the rumour is true as I'm lookinjg at the Leica X Vario as a replacement but can't quite come to terms with that camera's size.
The image above with the RX10 is good to remind us of the magic that went into compressing the size of the G1X lens.

It's obviously my personal preferences, but when I look at the X Vario images on flickr, and compare them with the G1X images, I have to say that I tend to like the colour and 'look' of the G1x images more! It may also be the way that X Vario users on flickr process their images, but there's something very appealing about the G1X' colour. I've always been a fan of Canon colour, particularly the late 2000's DSLR's.

On the other hand, I love the way the X Vario handles. It feels like a 'real camera', as opposed to a glorified P&S. I haven't bought one because it doesn't meet my current needs, which are a fast lens, 21-24mm wide angle, and decent video.

I think that one of the things that I like most about the G1X is that the images it makes often stand out as being recognisably "G1X". I would be loathe to mess with the formula but the dynamic range limitations are noticeable when compared to an Olympus or Sony or Samsung. The touchscreen panel from the EOS M would be a great addition also.

Back