Fuji Swans in the sun taken with the XF1

Darren,

As you rightly observe a difficult subject. All three shots exhibit some degree of burnt out highlights with number 2 suffering the worst in that respect. Time to dial in a little more under exposure compensation or indeed go to manual and try similar shots at various levels of under exposure to see what works best. If these were shot in raw have you tried adjusting the highlight value to see if there is any detail there, or indeed try some form of dodging of the highlights to see if that reveals any detail?

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

If the weather is nice, I'll have another go tomorrow during my lunch break. Although I shot these in jpegs, I did some recovery work in Lightroom, but at the same time didn't want tomake it too obvious.

Shooting in jpeg has immediately limited your options to post process to the best advantage. If you are able to I would urge you to shoot in raw. If you are limited to jpeg then still try the effect of a reduced exposure value to try and control those highlights, and a few shots at differing exposures even in jpeg will allow you to judge an optimum exposure for such subjects.

Good luck, the weather forecast would suggest you don't leave it until Friday, although I'm not sure if the rain will have reached Poole by lunchtime, it certainly will have further west where I am.

Barrie

Back