Sony Need help comparing models.

Benny23

Could any of you help me reach a decision?
My main premise for wanting a new camera was to improve photography in low light conditions and quality flash, a responsive shutter speed and camera portability. I want to ensure that I make the right decision on a fairly modest budget.
I've been guided to the Sony nex camera for its slr ability in a smaller shell.
So far I've been looking at nex 3N, nex5R and ne5T. Would the nex3n meet my needs or may I need to spend out on the nex 5 range?

1. What's your budget?
2. What do you shoot right now?
3. By 'quality flash', do you mean built-in or external flashgun?
4. Low-light photography of what? Static/active subjects?

There are plenty of interchangeable and non-interchangeable lens cameras that fit the bill, but which one is best for you depends on the above, and on your personal preference for handling, etc. Sony is definitely not the only 'SLR capability in a smaller shell' camera; most larger sensor mirrorless cameras fit that bill, with micro-four thirds providing perhaps the best autofocus, Fuji (according to some) the best JPGs/low light performance (though olympus in-body stabilisation can negate some of that for static subjects), with those two having arguably 'better' lens lineups than Sony does for NEX.

1. What's your budget?
2. What do you shoot right now?
3. By 'quality flash', do you mean built-in or external flashgun?
4. Low-light photography of what? Static/active subjects?

There are plenty of interchangeable and non-interchangeable lens cameras that fit the bill, but which one is best for you depends on the above, and on your personal preference for handling, etc. Sony is definitely not the only 'SLR capability in a smaller shell' camera; most larger sensor mirrorless cameras fit that bill, with micro-four thirds providing perhaps the best autofocus, Fuji (according to some) the best JPGs/low light performance (though olympus in-body stabilisation can negate some of that for static subjects), with those two having arguably 'better' lens lineups than Sony does for NEX.
Thanks for your response Mattia....
My budget is between £250-£450.
I currently shoot with a lumix camera (budget end of the range) though I'm no means an amateur, I used to get my kicks from the old 33mm lense cameras, I've just never had the budget since the digital revolution and I don't think that a DSLR would work for me with a 9 month old, I already have enough to carry when I'm out and about.
I think I would be better with an in built flash as a flash gun would affect portability and I don't think I have the budget for one.
The low light photography is a big factor for me. When I'm indoors trying to capture portraight photos of my little girl who is too young to pose for a photograph. Typically I find with the lumix that the moment has passed by the time the shutter has reacted.
I was led to believe that the APS-C sensor in the NEX range is one of the best for non DSLR cameras, are there other cameras from the compact system camera range worth considering?
Many thanks.

buy used ……. there are a lot of "flippers" out there!

or a discontinued model at a 40% discount

Thanks Bill, I wouldn't know where to start looking when it comes to the second hand market. Plus I'
I question the reliability and warranty support with used cameras if they stopped working. Of course, not that new models are infallible to problems and breakdowns.
Thanks.

I think the NEX range offer some amazing models when you weigh performance to cost. I am not well verse in the differences between the models, but I'm fairly sure that the IQ from all of them should be nearly identical, so then it would come down to what features each model has.

You should also consider visiting the sister site here NEXtalk (which apparently has changed it's to TalkEmount since future NEX cameras will not be called NEXs) TalkEmount

I think the NEX range offer some amazing models when you weigh performance to cost. I am not well verse in the differences between the models, but I'm fairly sure that the IQ from all of them should be nearly identical, so then it would come down to what features each model has.

You should also consider visiting the sister site here NEXtalk (which apparently has changed it's to TalkEmount since future NEX cameras will not
be called NEXs) TalkEmount

Thanks, I'll head over and have a look.

As owner of nex 5, 5n, 6, I don't know the differences btw those cameras but I think it is the same 16MP sensor so the cheapest is better budget wise. Newer models have phase detection sensor, which should increase af accuracy, but I haven't used enough af lenses to see any differences. It is reported that the phase detection is not useful in low light. In my experience m43 af in low light af is better then the nex. I have both systems.

Camera options from Sony are nex-3n or A5000 which both are heavily discounted in US. On m43, you can check Olympus e-pl5/e-pm2 which also use Sony sensor and discounted lately with newer m43 models out.

As owner of nex 5, 5n, 6, I don't know the differences btw those cameras but I think it is the same 16MP sensor so the cheapest is better budget wise. Newer models have phase detection sensor, which should increase af accuracy, but I haven't used enough af lenses to see any differences. It is reported that the phase detection is not useful in low light. In my experience m43 af in low light af is better then the nex. I have both systems.

Camera options from Sony are nex-3n or A5000 which both are heavily discounted in US. On m43, you can check Olympus e-pl5/e-pm2 which also use Sony sensor and discounted lately with newer m43 models out.

Thanks, will research into the Olympus model. I've do far not considered these.

I guess he's referring to shutter lag.

Answering your question on various NEX models, the image quality would be pretty much the same for all of them. You can get perfectly fine images with 3N already. Jumping to 5 model will give you a bit more of external controls and better grip. Jumping to 6 will give you an integrated EVF and even more direct controls. You can later buy and attach an add-on EVF on series 5.

Also, cause it might be of importance to you, series 3 and 5 have proprietary connector and can accept only two Sony Nex flashguns (which are small but not fully articulated). Series 6 has standard hot-shoe that you can equip with any flashgun you might chose later.

And then there are other manufacturers, all perfectly fine. You might want to check out Samsung's NX line, as it is cheaper, but good and with great lens range (better than Nex, it seems to me, and I am a Nex owner).

what do you mean by " a responsive shutter speed" by the way?

By responsive shutter speed, I mean without the split second lag time that occurs between taking the shot and the subject moving. This often happens with my current camera.

O
I guess he's referring to shutter lag.

Answering your question on various NEX models, the image quality would be pretty much the same for all of them. You can get perfectly fine images with 3N already. Jumping to 5 model will give you a bit more of external controls and better grip. Jumping to 6 will give you an integrated EVF and even more direct controls. You can later buy and attach an add-on EVF on series 5.

Also, cause it might be of importance to you, series 3 and 5 have proprietary connector and can accept only two Sony Nex flashguns (which are small but not fully articulated). Series 6 has standard hot-shoe that you can equip with any flashgun you might chose later.

And then there are other manufacturers, all perfectly fine. You might want to check out Samsung's NX line, as it is cheaper, but good and with great lens range (better than Nex, it seems to me, and I am a Nex owner).

Thanks pictogramax. There is some excellent comparisons here between the nex models. Indeed, I was referring to lag time when a mentioned responsive shutter speed.

If Sony's A7r is any reflection of the autofocus performance on the APS-C sized NEX cameras, I would suggest one of the Olympus 16 megapixel bodies (whatever you can swing, though I don't think the E-PM2 has a flash) for some of the best in class autofocus speed and touchscreen focus. Personally, I don't like the interface on bodies that don't have at least two dedicated control wheels (so it's E-P5, E-M5 for me as a minimum). Sony makes some very nice sensors (including those in the 16 megapixel generation of Olympus micro four thirds bodies), and I do love their A7r (out of your range..)

If you're OK with used, there are a few sub-500 GBP E-M5 kits on eBay (body+12-50 lens, which is a useful range, but not tiny or super amazing kit lens. It is weather sealed though).

You can get a used great "Sony NEX-5N kit, complete with E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens, flash,lens hood,IR remote, all bits there boxed in fantastic condition,APS-C sensor, 16.1MP, touch screen, 10FPS, 1080HD movies, etc." …….. it's on my watch forum
for £235 in the UK ……… that's US$350 …………. so in the US similar should be about US$250

Modern cams are usually reliable but you take your chance and as I said there are lots around that have hardly been used

Fuji, (in the UK), usually have factory refurb stuff, (as new) at great prices, (sometimes), on their web site

Where? Never get 40% off on discontinued in Australia :(

maybe I exaggerated a little but I think I got almost that off the old V1 …….. when the new V2 came out
I think I paid £250 with kit lens

even now the V1 kit is half the price of the V2 kit - (while stocks last)

You can get a used great "Sony NEX-5N kit, complete with E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS lens, flash,lens hood,IR remote, all bits there boxed in fantastic condition,APS-C sensor, 16.1MP, touch screen, 10FPS, 1080HD movies, etc."
for £235 in the UK ……… that's US$350 …………. so in the US similar should be about US$250

Modern cams are usually reliable but you take your chance and as I said there are lots around that have hardly been used

Fuji, (in the UK), usually have factory refurb stuff, (as new) at great prices on their web site

Thanks Bill, I'm definitely tempted by the second hand market. Are there any good/safe sites you'd recommend and any tips to consider when looking at second hand cameras?

Back