Sony Sony a6000

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
The Sony a6000, announced today, looks like a good incremental update to the NEX-6. As a NEX-7 user it is good to see that Sony is continuing to develop the APS-C rangefinder style cameras, whatever they choose to call them. Credit also to Sony for keeping the price at least reasonable - $650 body only; $800 with the 16-50 lens. I believe this is $100 less than the NEX-6 when it was first released. The big cost cutting item appears to be the viewfinder which is of a lower resolution than that on the NEX-6 and NEX-7.

I've read on a number of sites that Sony spokespeople have described this camera as a replacement for both the NEX-6 and the NEX-7. Not so. If that is the case then what they mean is that this is a replacement for the NEX-6 and there will be no replacement for the NEX-7. Which leaves those of us using the NEX-7 in the same place as those Nikon users who have been waiting years for an update to/replacement for the D300. I would like to think that there will, in due course be an 'a7000' as a direct replacement for the NEX-7, but its not something I'm confident will happen.

I can't help thinking that Nikon and Sony are playing the same game here - dither over replacing your high end APS-C model in the hope that users will instead emigrate to low end 35mm models. The problem is that even low end 35mm models are still significantly more expensive that high-end APS-C models, to say nothing of the additional cost of 35mm format lenses.

Sony certainly need an E-mount camera - or perhaps even two - to fill the huge gap between the $650 a6000 and the $1700 A7. I know many people will be wishing for a $1300-1400 35mm camera (an A5 perhaps?) but despite the sensor size it would still be a low end camera with all that implies in terms of build quality and features. I'm perhaps in the minority but I would prefer a high end APS-C - an A7000. In an ideal world perhaps Sony would do both.

While Sony are clearly committed to the APS-C E-mount market for the foreseeable future I'm concerned about how committed they are to the E-mount (as opposed to FE-mount) lens market. But that's for another time.

There's no way the a6000 would replace my NEX-7, but it would certainly make a very good second body. I'm looking forward to the reviews.

Sony is pricing the nex /Axxxx series very competitively to attract people from low end dslrs and other mirrorless competition. So far it sells good though it lags on lenses. Fuji is catching up w/ m43 on lenses though they are a late comer.

From SAR:
(SR5) Trusted sources: No A7000 APS-C E-mount coming in 2014. Main focus on FE from now on! - sonyalpharumors
(SR5) Trusted sources: No A7000 APS-C E-mount coming in 2014. Main focus on FE from now on!
I saw a couple of sites claiming the A6000 doesn’t replace the NEX-7 and that there may be a new A7000 APS-C model in future with TriNavi. I can confirm via trusted sources that this isn’t true. There will be no A7000 APS-C(!) E-mount camera in 2014. I repeat it, no APS-C A7000 with TriNavi in 2104.

I have been also told the focus now is on FE camera and lens releases. Particularly new FE lenses are needed to make the system grow.

From what I understand the silver is simply a preproduction product.

Sony A6000 Review

Interesting. From what I read somewhere - can't remember where - the silver finish was an option for some markets but not others (including the US).

Edit: Turns out I read it in the Press Release on the official Sony website (though given how inaccurate Sony websites tend to be it's still not certain):

The Sony α6000 compact interchangeable lens camera will be available in April 2014 in black and silver in a kit with a compact, versatile 16-50mm motorized zoom lens (model SELP1650) for about $800. It will also be offered separately as a body for about $650.

Edit 2: And you can order the silver one on the Japan website and the UK website, though not on the US website. You can also order it as a kit with the 16-70 lens from Sony UK.

I just don't understand the move to a lower-res EVF. Certainly no Sony engineer made this decision. If it was a marketing decision, it was a misguided one to say the least. It's a clear strike against the A6000 when it is being cross-shopped with other cameras in this class. The Panasonic GX7 is one of them. Maybe the Fuji X-E2 as well. I'd be tempted to pick up a leftover NEX6 instead, if I decided I had to have a Sony.

something rico mentioned about possibly why makes sense - and this is how i understood it.. to keep most of the processing power/resources with the AF'ing system/burst mode. it would definitely raise the price had they gone with a better evf or better processing.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

I just don't understand the move to a lower-res EVF. Certainly no Sony engineer made this decision. If it was a marketing decision, it was a misguided one to say the least. It's a clear strike against the A6000 when it is being cross-shopped with other cameras in this class. The Panasonic GX7 is one of them. Maybe the Fuji X-E2 as well. I'd be tempted to pick up a leftover NEX6 instead, if I decided I had to have a Sony.

That fast AF is why i will likely pull the trigger. I'm not much of an EVF user anyway. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive for this camera. At $650 for the body is a very good price.

That fast AF is why i will likely pull the trigger. I'm not much of an EVF user anyway. The reviews have been overwhelmingly positive for this camera. At $650 for the body is a very good price.

I'm very curious at how it does with moving objects and tracking. I bought the Nex 6 hoping it would be almost as good as my J1 but it is not even close in initial testing. Toddlers playing are tough on cameras.

I'm very irritated that all the testing websites can't rig something up to do motion testing. I'm convinced they CAN, they just don't want to. A simple target on wheels pulled diagonally would suffice.

can't say this isn't a good test, with comparisons to other models, in different scenarios, including in a low light area. and that's still in a tripod. it's nice how its pdaf points are so spread out.

소니 A6000_제품 시연_AF-C 비교:

can't say this isn't a good test, with comparisons to other models, in different scenarios, including in a low light area. and that's still in a tripod. it's nice how its pdaf points are so spread out.

소니 A6000_제품 시연_AF-C 비교:

Thanks for sharing.

It is no doubt fast but look at those apertures and shutter speeds. Bike rider at 1/200??? F5.6 is hardly taxing on focus. Lastly focusing is clearly trailing the person. Seems non predictive.

The toddler running diagonally is a great test though, simple, somewhat repeatable.

Back