Samsung Samsung NX30

Matt Everglade

Regular
Hi,

is anyone already using the NX30? I would like to hear your experiences.

I just got mine some days ago and I love the firmware improvements and the better ergonomics, but the sensor is not much better then the one used in the NX20. As the price is falling fast at the moment and I am not too convinced of the sensor I think I'll send my camera back. :(

Kind regards
Matt

PS: I am writing a more detailed (rolling) review on my blog, have a look if you are interested ;) Samsung NX30 – Hands On Review | Matt Everglade

My impression of the NX30 was that it brought the NXx0 series into line with the NX300 but doesn't really bring the brand or system all that much further forwards. Also, because it is currently Samsung's most high end body it is going to be compared to other flagship cameras like the E-M1 or X-T1 even though the pricetag has it competing in the class below that. From the look of the camera I am guessing that the ergonomics should be excellent but I do wish that on a camera like this there was a twin multi-function dial setup for the thumb and forefinger at the upper rear and upper front.

I agree with you.

I just finished my review with this conclusion:

Generally Samsung is heading into the right direction. The NX30 has introduced several improvements, but some features are way too restricted (e.g. bulb mode) or not well thought out (e.g. JPEG transfer only in WiFi mode, new batteries). The ergonomics are on a high level and especially the new hand grip is a major improvement. The new hardware is now up to date, but Samsung seems to be stuck with their sensor development. Since they introduced the 20MP sensor the changes were only minor and this continued with the NX30. The image quality is good, but not much better than before. The EVF is a double-edged sword as there are pros (e.g. tiltable, higher resolution) and cons (e.g. smaller size). The display is useful as it can be used as touchscreen. The power supply with a new type of batteries and recharging in camera only is annoying and a step back. The firmware/software has some new fancy features implemented (e.g. new settings, WiFi enhancements), but is a bit buggy as of now (v1.0). The new options for flashing and filming, especially audio recording using the microphone port, are more than welcome for serious photographers.

Personally I’ll not keep the NX30 as I am dissappointed with the sensor and the bugs in the firmware. The new batteries are a major dealbreaker at the moment as there are currently no new batteries available for a reasonable price. I’ll need at least one spare battery for my next journey and I am unwilling to use “powerpacks” as workaround. Also Samsung’s pricing policy is quite bad for early adaptors (price was lowered by 100€ two days after I bought the camera). I’m sure I’ll replace my NX20 someday as I love the other improvements, but currently I am unwilling to pay so many Euros for a software update and some of plastic (handgrip, tiltable EVF) especially when the capital loss is so high.

Thanks for your take on the nx30. Sadly I'm less enthusiastic about the NX30 than initially because of the price more than anything else. It is $999 here in the states, with lens. Can't really be found body only. I'm sure there will be body only option later but it doesn't make sense to ONLY offer a kit only option first. What if you don't want yet another 18-55 lens when you have one? No idea what they were thinking there, especially since it is most likely going to be current NX users with interest first.

And you are VERY right about the pricing. Samsung prices their cameras a couple of hundred dollars higher than their "street value" when released, and they drop in price fairly quickly. Right now the NX30 kit is $999, assume $899 body only. So if the NX30 WAS $699 body only ($799 kit) I don't know how much less profit they would see per unit but I do know it would make the NX30 one hell of a value that would be hard to ignore. $700 for an NX30 body? How many people would buy that at release? I bet a LOT more!
Instead they make it a $1000 kit only at release. That is Canon 70d territory, with a larger lens selection, big brand name recognition, and LV focusing that is just as good as the NX system, not to mention flash system.
That is Fuji XE2 territory with the name recognition and strong lens lineup. And not far off from the new XT1.
That is EM1 territory with a great lens lineup and IBIS. And the EM! is weathersealed and blazing fast. That is much more expensive than the EM10 which has a comparable build quality, but has IBIS and great lens selection.
That is more than the A6000 with comparable build, Sony name recognition, and what looks like a faster AF system.

In a year the NX30 will be @$799 but by then there will be better, newer options for the same or just a bit higher. And if those options have a Canon, Nikon, Sony, or Fuji name on them, you instantly have less name recognition and don't get taken as seriously (in the camera world).

The prices are already at about 799€ in Germany, they started at 899€ for the body only option. And if you buy it in a bundle with another lens like the 16-50mm PZ (and sell it later?) you might get the camera for 500-600€! I bought the camera for 600€. I assume you'll see lower prices soon, but I don't know the US market...

It is still $999 for the kit here in the states. I've only seen a few body only for sale, but that was ebay. If you're buying from a retailer, prices haven't dropped yet...but I have zero doubt that they will indeed!

The 16-50 powerzoom is due here @April 15th and the 16-50S is @April 1st.

I noticed today that the NX30 was $799 on Amazon here in the states today. So Matt is obviously very right about the price drops early adopters suffer with Samsung. That is a pretty significant drop in such a short time and right in line with what has been said by many.
I don't think we get a body only option here yet but the street price is getting closer to what it needs to be if Samsung really wants to move units.

Hi good day. Newbie here... i have an nx1000, currently using 45mm 1.8 and a class 10 SDcard... when i shoot raw+sf i only get about 5 shoots and a screen telling me that it is still processing. Does anyone have this experience with the nx30? I'm planning to upgrade.

I don't know if we have any currently active members with an NX30. Samsung isn't currently at the head of the mirrorless pack for continuous shooting ability but it has improved over time. As far as I am aware the buffer on the NX30 was improved over the earlier NX20, which in turn should have been a step-up over the NX1000.

NX30 doesn't have this problem. The buffer depth is 15 frames in RAW, it takes about 20 seconds to flush the buffer and you can shoot while the camera is writing.

BTW, this is the best Samsung camera so far. The only problem I have with it is that Samsung uses some kind of synthetic lubricant in the articulated viewfinder assembly which sometimes can spill out. I ruined my favorite shirt this way :mad: But it probably was just a freak accident.

A couple of shots taken with NX30 and NX60mm macro:

A9Mwrc9CT2e9eYG0tq6s.jpg

Kco17yJHN84ILe0mVgKi.jpg

NX30 is good upgrade if use old MF lens. If use Samsung AF lens can stay with NX5

Y4Odjh.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

lKtcyv.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• Y4Odjh.jpg
    Y4Odjh.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 49
  • lKtcyv.jpg
    lKtcyv.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Y4Odjh.jpg
    Y4Odjh.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 53
  • lKtcyv.jpg
    lKtcyv.jpg