Fuji Fuji X100...

aepock

Rookie
Recently my company just released annual bonus to me, I am think to purchase 2nd hand Fuji x100 that fit my budget as my daily walk around camera. Also,with the improvement on firmware v2.01, its tempting....shld I get 1?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

It is a very fun and very capable camera. It makes you want to take photographs. So I vote "yes".

The X100 outputs gorgeous files straight out of the camera. Using it makes one feel like a photographer. It is one of the best looking cameras of the last 25 years. I have 2 other newer cameras, but they don't create "better" photos than the X100 does. If you understand how the camera works and are OK with it's "limitations", I don't think there is a better camera for the money.

the x100 outputs gorgeous files straight out of the camera. Using it makes one feel like a photographer. It is one of the best looking cameras of the last 25 years. I have 2 other newer cameras, but they don't create "better" photos than the x100 does. If you understand how the camera works and are ok with it's "limitations", i don't think there is a better camera for the money.

sic !

How about the AF speed? I wanna to use x100 for capturing my 7months old baby....My 6D with lenses just too heavy to bring around with all the baby stuff that I need to carry around.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SeriousCompacts mobile app

AF speed is fine after the latest firmware and compares well with the X100S. It's not DSLR fast but it's not bad.

One thing to look for is that the serial no starts with a "2".
That indicates the second year of production and it was after the cause of the Sticky Aperture Blades had been discovered.
If it starts with a "1" don't buy unless the Sticky Aperture Blade problem has been dealt with by Fuji and is verifiable.
The other thing to watch for is that the Strap Lugs are not worn. They are made of soft metal alloy and the original straps wore them down. The X100S has them reinforced.
You might also check that the viewfinder curtain moves smoothly when switching from the LCD to EVF as that is another common failure.

It's a nice camera with good colour and great jpegs. Just don't expect sharp images at F2 (although some folk like them ) and really sharp macro starts at F8.
A used X100 seems a good buy and should be easy to dispose of if you get tired of it.

ahh.. i guess you will be limited to that body. unless you're willing to consider the x-m1/a1 with possibility for other lenses should you decide you want other focal lengths in the future. the xm-1 with the pancakes are quite small. though, you won't have a vf. if the fuji sales are over, you can get a used x-e1 on the cheap, and, again, with possibility for other lenses in the future.

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

different beasts entirely. the x100 is an iconic camera, truly one of a kind. the vf is awesome, as are the controls. it is still the best b&w rendering of any camera ive ever used.

if you're relying on the b&w jpgs sooc, the x-e1 jpgs are going to be similar. controls as well. i actually preferred the minor differences in controls on the x-e1 over the x100s.

best would be to handle one and see what best suits...

(Sent from another Galaxy via Tapatalk.)

the x100 has a different sensor from any other in the X family. it is not xtrans and thus no problem with LR or any other program decoding RAW. it has a different look to its results, a different hybrid vf, different silent shutter and different handling. to get the 35mm fov on an interchangeable x cam you have to get the very large 23mm lens which makes the rig distinctly not anywhere near pocketable. again, different beasts entirely, and 'handling' each may be something, but is only half the story.

this stuff is very subjective. i loved everything about my x100. i wanted to love the xp1 and didnt. i dont like the xtrans sensor 'look' and i do love the leaf shutter. the x100 is truly a 'one of a kind' product.

I've been using the bejeezus out of mine for 2 years now and have no complaints. If you can find one used for $550, I'm confident you won't get more "goodness" for less. So compact, such good glass, such excellent controls, some quirks but no glaring flaws (as long as video isn't your bag)... I will never, ever sell mine. That thing makes magical photos so effortlessly. A bonafide classic.

I was just printing some 8x12s of X100 vacation photos this weekend. This was the first time I printed X100 files and I was a little surprised at how good they looked (being from an antiquated sensor and all :)). Plenty of detail when print-peeping and very nice color.

I had planned on selling the camera, but keep holding off on posting... I suspect it is worth more to me than someone else. I would love to see Fuji release an updated X100 with 16mpx sensor and light AA filter (like the original).

Back