FF vs Crop Sensors Explained

A very nice explanation indeed! Works much better than reading some text. Thanks for sharing.

PS: I am not sure if his statement that pixels at lower sensor collect less light. To my knowledge the pixel size is important for light collection. E.g. the pixel size of the 16MP Fuji x-trans sensor is about the same as the 36MP Nikon D800.

Peter

It's explained fairly well, and I like the method of showing the shots from each camera on the same lens at the same distance.

But... I felt a disturbance in the Internet, like thousands of pedants cried out and were silenced when he said a 45mm f/1.8 on Micro Four Thirds becomes a 85mm f/3.6 on FF :D

He does explain the differences but I felt like it kind of glossed over the fact that multiplying the aperture is strictly for depth of field reasons and not light gathering. Especially by saying at the end that manufacturers should be applying the crop factor to the aperture too :rolleyes:

PS: I am not sure if his statement that pixels at lower sensor collect less light. To my knowledge the pixel size is important for light collection. E.g. the pixel size of the 16MP Fuji x-trans sensor is about the same as the 36MP Nikon D800.

He actually did say later in the explanation that for the same number of megapixels, the smaller sensor gets less light per pixel. That's the same thing you're saying, but it would be easy to misunderstand that part of the video.

My own opinion is sensor size matters to a point, but it's not always about lower megapixel counts == better noise. Sensor and image processing tech are important, and more resolution often means more detail and thus better looking files at high ISO. Downsampling larger images will result in better output as well.

This video is a good start at what it's meant for (new buyers trying to understand crop factor), but any 8 minute video is going to condense or skip a few details :cool:

Back